• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

max martin vocal producing

Started by royeei, July 21, 2012, 11:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

royeei

Hi , can someone describe what max did technically in the choruses of  Britney two songs ( Baby one more time and Crazy)  that make it sounds like a choir?   

georg_e

Hi royeei,  I can a little on the technical music part, but not engineering wise :-)     On "Baby One mOre Time" chorus, basically it's a combination of pedal tones in voices (same note repeated in harmony while melody changes), like in the beginning on "My Loneliness is killin' me"....there the pedal tone note is the fifth.  Along with the pedal tone, there's harmony that goes parallel to the melody. Then I noticed at the end of chorus where it really opens up, the pedal tone note is doubled, so you hear it as a low note and a high note --that really opens it up.  You can hear all this clearly in this acapella Youtube version  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Q5Mq_E2PM

"Crazy'' is a little harder to tell for me, but  the end part on the word "right"he uses another technique --contrary motion-- where the high harmony part goes UP in melody, while the main melody goes DOWN. That split in direction at beginning of "ri-ii-iight" is very strong, because it's the climax note of the chorus.

He's also using technique of pedal tones at the end of "Fast Car" chorus (Taio Cruz) on words "And there's no turnin back cuz we've gone too far, I'll drive You like a fast car".

Feelgoodlies

Nowadays, I just love the electro voice they use along the vocals in thechorus, noticed that on Katy's I Kissed A Girl's second chorus where she says "it felt so wrong, it felt so right" around 01:47...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhc-nhwR9e4

We've had discussions like these previously. I just love the vocal production of most  of the Cheiron songs, they are euphoric.

George, if you ever produced something, please do more of that.