• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

PowerFX Downtown Beats?

Started by moham.adn, January 29, 2019, 07:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j.fco.morales

The Pony sample is from a EMU MO Phatt synth. Timbaland used that one a lot back in the 90's.

WhatTheFox

The Pony Sound is from the EMU Morpheus (they don't have a VST for it) I don't think computers have caught up just yet to handle the CPU usage of any of the MO Phatt and Morpheus synth.

Snipes3000

Are you sure that there is no VST or is it just as far as you know?
Hi, I'm Luke and I'm sitting on my throne! Oh, and have you noticed that Denniz PoP songs are extremely hooky?

WhatTheFox

Quote from: Snipes3000 on January 01, 2021, 12:34:16 PM
Are you sure that there is no VST or is it just as far as you know?

It's what I know. There is no VST for any of the Morpheus, Mo Phatt or anything like that as of now. Only sound fonts. If you want a more authentic "baow" sound I think you will need an actual EMU Morpheous Synthesizer. Also I tried sampling living on a prayer and it didn't really even come close. So maybe that Baow sound actually did come from the Morpheous synth.

They ARE however trying to work on a VST/Plugin for these types of synth but as I said before, our computers can't handle the CPU usage of them. We are part of a generation now where allot of producers are doing stuff on laptops/ipads and in home studios. You want to reach that market as well.

Snipes3000

Take a look at Emulator by EMU. It's a vst with authentic EMU samples from their Proteus series, including mo phatt and proteus 2000. Check out the 'vox' category sounds inside mo phatt. They sound similar enough. Also make sure that u have a very phat sounding bass before u add your 'baow' on top of it. It's a layering game. Don't ask me how to get the program and how to get it running, but it isn't bread and butter as this vst stems from 2005 and is no longer available in stores, although some of the banks are.
Hi, I'm Luke and I'm sitting on my throne! Oh, and have you noticed that Denniz PoP songs are extremely hooky?

WhatTheFox

Quote from: Snipes3000 on January 01, 2021, 11:07:18 PM
Take a look at Emulator by EMU. It's a vst with authentic EMU samples from their Proteus series, including mo phatt and proteus 2000. Check out the 'vox' category sounds inside mo phatt. They sound similar enough. Also make sure that u have a very phat sounding bass before u add your 'baow' on top of it. It's a layering game. Don't ask me how to get the program and how to get it running, but it isn't bread and butter as this vst stems from 2005 and is no longer available in stores, although some of the banks are.

Yeah, there is samples out there, I actually have a pony sample baow that is not from the song Pony, but the actual sound. Maybe it is a layering game, but I'm not sure what type of bass to layer because now and days there's so many fat sounding bass pre-sets. I tried to mimic something similar to that baow sound (but more of a JC Chasez take on it) and I understand what you are saying.

But yeah, the EMU Morpheous has that Pony sound. I am really starting to think that maybe the EMU Morpheous had a big roll in allot of songs. I know the Proteous 2000 was something they used allot of, and I don't even think the Morpheous is even listed under their equipment roster (if you use the wayback machine you can see everything that was used at Cherion practically).

I just wish there was a way to get my hands on allot of those Proteous 2000 samples without paying, because I find it a bit ridiculous to have to pay for sounds like that. A sample never sounds as authentic as the actual thing I feel, but it could be because like you said, it is a layering process. But if you listen to JC Chasez produced tracks, they use a baow sound but it's not like the one in Backstreet. Sounds allot like the Baow sound used in Pony?

Even the Baow sound in Britney's Oops... Album sounds a little different, and I don't mean different as in pitch but just the sound in general.

WhatTheFox

Also I looked up the EMU Emulator, even if I could get my hands on it, it would serve no purpose for me. I'm a Mac user.  :P

j.fco.morales

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf2PTxK0IZk

Well, it's for Kontakt.

And it's like a throwback to the late 90s.

WhatTheFox

Quote from: j.fco.morales on January 02, 2021, 07:50:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf2PTxK0IZk

Well, it's for Kontakt.

And it's like a throwback to the late 90s.

Ah, I see now. Will have to maybe buy Kontakt in the near future.

Dagge

Really don't see what is so special in that Beow thing (hooks as usual), but I have heard quite a few of those sounds at old East West and Zero G sample CD's. After all, they used same equipment and libraries as others at that time. There is no magic secret instrument. only discipline to find right layer combination. You combine until you find it. But sources are not hard to find, and they have been mentioned on this forum several times. Actually I think the only combined Cheiron sound was snare hit (different versions), everything else is mainly original sound from the synth or a CD collection. I think they didn't waste much time to create special sound, it was more a thing of a good taste to pick right sound out of ordinary ones.

With time I managed to collect 90% of famous Cheiron snare/clap hits (as a fun), but found no use of it. Once you have it they lose attractiveness. Since those sounds are characteristic Cheiron sounds, not mine or someone else's, really there is no use of it. Max sounds like ahhs, stabs etc are even less useful. East West collection for example is full of them, Max stabs are among many similar there.

Btw a guy sells sample collection of all EMU romples for years at eBay and it sounds exact as original. Because those are same samples as in Romplers (licenced). I think there is a version for all main soft samplers

j.fco.morales

Quote from: Dagge on January 02, 2021, 11:41:13 PM
Really don't see what is so special in that Beow thing (hooks as usual), but I have heard quite a few of those sounds at old East West and Zero G sample CD's. After all, they used same equipment and libraries as others at that time. There is no magic secret instrument. only discipline to find right layer combination. You combine until you find it. But sources are not hard to find, and they have been mentioned on this forum several times. Actually I think the only combined Cheiron sound was snare hit (different versions), everything else is mainly original sound from the synth or a CD collection. I think they didn't waste much time to create special sound, it was more a thing of a good taste to pick right sound out of ordinary ones.

With time I managed to collect 90% of famous Cheiron snare/clap hits (as a fun), but found no use of it. Once you have it they lose attractiveness. Since those sounds are characteristic Cheiron sounds, not mine or someone else's, really there is no use of it. Max sounds like ahhs, stabs etc are even less useful. East West collection for example is full of them, Max stabs are among many similar there.

Btw a guy sells sample collection of all EMU romples for years at eBay and it sounds exact as original. Because those are same samples as in Romplers (licenced). I think there is a version for all main soft samplers

100% agree. It's all about layering and finding your own sounds using what's available.

WhatTheFox

Quote from: Dagge on January 02, 2021, 11:41:13 PM

I think it is very fun to make music with them, and I don't think they lose attractiveness but that is just me. Also never heard of East West?

Zero-G has some familiar sounds but the ones I was able to obtain probably have nothing Cherion related on them.

cheironlover

Quote from: j.fco.morales on December 30, 2020, 08:19:14 PM
The Pony sample is from a EMU MO Phatt synth. Timbaland used that one a lot back in the 90's.

The breath sound, too?

Tano87

Quote from: cheironlover on July 19, 2021, 09:40:18 PM
The breath sound, too?

Definitely not true. The Pony sound is different that the one used by Max Martin. So it's not on the E-Mu module.
And the breathy hat is not there neither...probably they sampled themselfs.
They used to sample Britney's breath on Oops and used it as "percussion pattern" in some sections of the song.

j.fco.morales

It's a breath, do breaths have tone?