• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Bonnie McKee "American Girl"

Started by turnaround, December 29, 2012, 05:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnaround

Must read interview. Max is mentioned. And a medley

http://www.interviewmagazine.com/music/exclusive-video-premiere-hits-a-musical-portrait-bonnie-mckee/#_

SYMONDS: Are you pretty good at predicting which songs you write for other people are going to end up being super successful?

MCKEE: Sometimes. It's funny—I work a lot with Max Martin and Dr. Luke. I remember the first time it happened was with "Teenage Dream," after we finished the song and vocals and listened back to it and Max Martin turned to me and said, "I wish I could bottle that feeling," and I was like, "What feeling?" because I've never had that feeling before. And he said, "When you know you wrote a hit." So I said, "Oh, is that what this feeling is?" [laughs] I have those feelings occasionally, but then there are other times where I write a song I'm so crazy about and love so much and it does nothing. I don't know if I have a great barometer for that, but the ones that are big, you feel when they happen.

SYMONDS: You've been working with Max Martin and Dr. Luke for four years. What are some of the best lessons you've learned from them?

MCKEE: Every time I write with them I learn something new. They are melody geniuses. I know this may sound like it becomes formulaic—in a lot of ways, pop music is formulaic, but they're like mad scientists. They've got it down to a mathematical equation, but they still somehow manage to write heartfelt, artistic pieces of music. It doesn't feel canned to me—it never does to me. There's something about their songs that always still strikes a cord and plucks at the heart's strings. It's very Warholian in a way, where it's mass-produced but it still makes people feel something.

Is this really true?

A mathematic formula?
And I liked it..

B Steady

"They are melody geniuses. I know this may sound like it becomes formulaic—in a lot of ways, pop music is formulaic, but they're like mad scientists. They've got it down to a mathematical equation, but they still somehow manage to write heartfelt, artistic pieces of music. It doesn't feel canned to me—it never does to me. There's something about their songs that always still strikes a cord and plucks at the heart's strings. It's very Warholian in a way, where it's mass-produced but it still makes people feel something."

Thank you Bonnie McKee for describing perfectly how I feel about Max' and Luke's music!!! :)
Vila i frid Dag

B Steady

Quote from: turnaround on July 11, 2013, 11:01:02 PM
Is this really true?

A mathematic formula?

haha that was my reaction as well! :D I think this is not meant to take it literally! more like "they have elements that they use in almost every song" or they have some hard rules.

this is so amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox2ggXhc-wA&noredirect=1
funny how she plays a wrong note at the very beginning but after that it's simply flawless.
so many hits, I love em all!!! <3
Vila i frid Dag

Raul_esp

Quote from: turnaround on July 11, 2013, 11:01:02 PM
Must read interview. Max is mentioned. And a medley

http://www.interviewmagazine.com/music/exclusive-video-premiere-hits-a-musical-portrait-bonnie-mckee/#_

Is this really true?

A mathematic formula?

Great interview! , I think the same , Max is a perfecionist , a genius , he has formules for write perfect pop songs.

Chris Kleiner

Here is another POP SMASH Hit from the Magic Duo!!!!
Written by Bonnie Mckee & Max Martin
produced by Dr Luke!!!!

http://www.directlyrics.com/bonnie-mckee-american-girl-lyrics.html

B Steady

--> http://www.swedishsongs.de/smf/index.php?topic=1725.0

btw it's produced by Josh Abraham & Oliver "Oligee" Goldstein ;)

this song has actually nothing to do with Max & Luke
Vila i frid Dag

turnaround

Imagine this would have been the new single by Katy Perry from her upcoming album.

Do you think this would be a success?
And I liked it..

B Steady

Quote from: turnaround on July 12, 2013, 04:36:14 PM
Imagine this would have been the new single by Katy Perry from her upcoming album.

If it was Katy, it would've been produced by Max & Luke :P which stands for a hit!
Vila i frid Dag

Feelgoodlies

Quote from: turnaround on July 12, 2013, 04:36:14 PM

Of course with a more Max and Luke touch I guess cause this sounds like an unfinished leftover from Katy!

Joshua

Quote from: Feelgoodlies on July 13, 2013, 01:29:12 AM
Of course with a more Max and Luke touch I guess cause this sounds like an unfinished leftover from Katy!

I agree, considering the amount of awesome tracks she's worked on, this is the best she came up with for herself? It's just not strong enough. I'll be very surprised if this goes anywhere at all.

Axel

To me it's a bit of a mystery. Why didn't Luke and Max take the lead on her album? Did they think she could flop due her first effort when she was 16? I mean, if there's one person who has access to them, it's gotta be her. Why did she settle for anyone less than Max & Luke?

I totally love "American Girl", and yeah I think it would have been successful it was sung by Katy. What bugs me is that Bonnie doesn't have a unique recognition factor so far. But then again, there are many out there who don't have that and still are successful. I really really hope she can pull it off.

By the way... considering that the song is available for free, she can't show up in the charts anyway, right? I guess it's all just a promo track to establish her. Same goes for the clip with the cameos. That was just to get as much press as possible. She automatically reaches out to all the fanbases of all the artists who had a cameo, plus you get listed on all their fansites etc... Quite a good idea to get a lot of promo, particularly since she has all these guys'n'girls in her address book. :)

I hope she makes it.

turnaround

What is weird:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Girl/dp/B00DVXYA54/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373878021&sr=8-1&keywords=bonnie+mckee+american

They will release the song in a few weeks despite giving it away for free too.

I anyway think the song is TOO good to give it away as a free download. It has so much potential I live for it these days.  8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Girl_%28Bonnie_McKee_Song%29

And the credits are really interesting of the song:

QuoteBonnie McKee, Jon Asher, Alex Drury, Jacknife Lee
And I liked it..

georg_e

Quote from: Axel on July 15, 2013, 10:14:25 AM
To me it's a bit of a mystery. Why didn't Luke and Max take the lead on her album? Did they think she could flop due her first effort when she was 16? I mean, if there's one person who has access to them, it's gotta be her. Why did she settle for anyone less than Max & Luke?

I totally love "American Girl", and yeah I think it would have been successful it was sung by Katy. What bugs me is that Bonnie doesn't have a unique recognition factor so far. But then again, there are many out there who don't have that and still are successful. I really really hope she can pull it off.

By the way... considering that the song is available for free, she can't show up in the charts anyway, right? I guess it's all just a promo track to establish her. Same goes for the clip with the cameos. That was just to get as much press as possible. She automatically reaches out to all the fanbases of all the artists who had a cameo, plus you get listed on all their fansites etc... Quite a good idea to get a lot of promo, particularly since she has all these guys'n'girls in her address book. :)

I hope she makes it.
I think maybe (?) they all had to be a little careful not to make her record sound EXACTLY like a Katy Perry record using her producers, but still not totally different.....so they used different guys. And now I actually like that it has a different sound to it, although it threw me on first listen.  I'm really hoping it does well when it's released too :-)

B Steady

Bonnie McKee = Katy Perry II
Abraham & Oligee = Dr. Luke & _____ II

so it makes sense actually :D
Vila i frid Dag

royeei

Can someone please explaine me how do i insert image?