• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

The Weeknd - Dawn FM (Max Martin, Oscar Holter)

Started by nanofives, January 07, 2022, 02:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nanofives

[spotify]https://open.spotify.com/album/2nLOHgzXzwFEpl62zAgCEC?si=mkZIwzB1RHyMJnrnQ5zzsQ[/spotify]

The album is out, Max Martin is the executive producer, all the songs have some kind of Max's involvement
Tidal lists him as a producer in 14 of 16 tracks, with the remaining two him being credited as a vocal producer.
There's a new version of Take My Breath which is extended (but different to the already released extended version).

New collaborators to add to Max's portfolio is Swedish House Mafia, Tommy Brown, Calvin Harris.

The sound design of the album is nice, but the songs kinda blend all together and it starts sounding boring after a while.

bugmenot

Wikipedia says he co-wrote six songs:

• How Do I Make You Love Me?
  • Sacrifice
  • Don't Break My Heart
  • Less than Zero
  • Phantom Regret by Jim

And specified – keyboards, programming (2–7, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16); bass (4, 15), drums (4); background vocals, guitar (15)

McCartneyMartin

So what's with Max lately producing whole albums instead of just a few individual one like on past releases? Is he trying to proof to the world that he's out for blood & trying to becoming the best producer of the 21st century. Just remember he's one away from tying John Lennon (26 #1s) and seven away from tying Paul McCartney (32 #1s)?

Also he's getting help from a guy who was in a EBN band called "Necro Facility", man you think Shellback, Ali, & Dr Luke were enough, can't the man produce a whole album by himself like most good producers did back in the 80s?

nanofives

Quote from: McCartneyMartin on January 07, 2022, 06:36:00 PM
So what's with Max lately producing whole albums instead of just a few individual one like on past releases? Is he trying to proof to the world that he's out for blood & trying to becoming the best producer of the 21st century. Just remember he's one away from tying John Lennon (26 #1s) and seven away from tying Paul McCartney (32 #1s)?

How's that a fair comparison? It's not like Max is trying to prove anything here, he's said numerous times about the importance of team effort. If he really cared about the #1 he wouldn't be doing albums, we all know today pop music is all about the singles. What about all the music he collaborated but didn't want to put his name in it, 1999's hook wouldn't be the same if it wasn't for Max for example. These are just some ideas popping on the top of my head, everything makes more sense than the idea of Max doing it solely to become the producer with most N1s in Billboard US.
If you want to know more about whole album releases instead of singles then you should look out for the context, 2 albums is not quite enough evidence to start making assumptions about his intentions as a producer in the future.

Also he's getting help from a guy who was in a EBN band called "Necro Facility", man you think Shellback, Ali, & Dr Luke were enough, can't the man produce a whole album by himself like most good producers did back in the 80s?
Don't you think if it's all about team effort as he said the logical thing is to keep pursuing team effort/collaboration? Are you going to despise every new producer he works with?
It's also ironic how "good producers from the 80s" are enabling Max's work in this same album, Quincy Jones surely agrees with this project and Max's idea. Unless you don't think he's a good producer from the 80s.

Quotecan't the man produce a whole album by himself like most good producers did back in the 80s?

I would love to know what's your idea of a good producer, is it only because of working alone? Or somebody can be a good producer only if you worked in the 80s?

McCartneyMartin

Quote from: nanofives on January 07, 2022, 08:50:06 PM
Are you going to despise every new producer he works with?
It's also ironic how "good producers from the 80s" are enabling Max's work in this same album, Quincy Jones surely agrees with this project and Max's idea. Unless you don't think he's a good producer from the 80s.
I don't despise it one bit, I'm just saying his original team of Illangelo, Doc McKinney & DannyBoyStyles really brought the overall dark R&B sound with a hint of funk/disco to his sound and then after 3 albums in just throws them under the bus in favor of some hit songdoctor who uses the same basic song template (Verse - Chorus - Verse - Chorus - Bridge - Chorus) on every track he produces without add any type of breaks/solos or a chance to enjoy the overall music instead just trys to have vocals on every note of the damn song.

Quincy Jones would never use any of Max's production quetes and prepurfs to use jazz & old school trad. measures on the songs not to mention Max's mixing buttbuddy "Serban" uses too much compression & results in a loud harsh mix too. Mr. Jones never did anything on Dawn FM but talked thought the track on shit.

Quote from: nanofives on January 07, 2022, 08:50:06 PM
I would love to know what's your idea of a good producer, is it only because of working alone? Or somebody can be a good producer only if you worked in the 80s?
Robert Mutt, Stock Aitken Waterman, Brenden O'Brien, Glen Ballard, Diane Warren, Desmond Child, Flood, Andy Johns, Phil Remone, Nile Rodgers, Don Was, etc.. all were better because they worked on more talented artists. The Weeknd is just a poor man's MJ dipped with The Smiths sounds & produced like Billy Ocean.

Pardon my bad english please.

j.fco.morales

Well, your english is very good at throwing shade.

When I'm not into something I just keep my mouth shut.

McCartneyMartin

[spotify]https://open.spotify.com/track/6XTrikpotvMsQzLzmU4onM?si=12f68c7be48642df[/spotify]

This is what The Weeknd could of should of been if he would of kept his original sound today. Only with less reverb, some trap hi hats & sub bass and maybe with a bit of a funk groove.

j.fco.morales

I think his sound evolved a lot and this is not a pop album to me: he's doing what he wants to.

I was expecting two things: a pop album or a weird sounding record and got none of them.

BCH2003

You must be fun to have at parties.

McCartneyMartin

Quote from: BCH2003 on January 13, 2022, 09:58:16 PM
You must be fun to have at parties.
You got that right all I'm doing is speaking the truth.

Dagge

While Max is the melody king, I don't think he is a production king. He is obviously very good but I subjectively think Lundin and Savan Koetcha among other are better, with better feel for rhythm and the rich arrangement

Snipes3000

Savan does more of toplining and lyrics. Are you perhaps confusing him with Ilya?
Hi, I'm Luke and I'm sitting on my throne! Oh, and have you noticed that Denniz PoP songs are extremely hooky?

Dagge

Quote from: McCartneyMartin on January 13, 2022, 11:43:17 PM
You got that right all I'm doing is speaking the truth.

You actually do. All mentioned producers were artists, adding their own artistic taste. That's why they lasted for a limited time period. When style changed they went out of fashion.

Max is different school. They analyse what is commercially appealable, try to mimic that while adding their own talent. This obviously works well for over two decades it maybe doesn't seem very artistic but they obviously love that approach, like so many other Swedish businesses. I think both approaches are valid.

Dagge

Quote from: Snipes3000 on January 15, 2022, 03:49:41 PM
Savan does more of toplining and lyrics. Are you perhaps confusing him with Ilya?

Sorry I actually thought Andreas Carlsson and Ramy Yacoub. I am not especially fond on their newer team producers

McCartneyMartin

Quote from: Dagge on January 15, 2022, 03:56:35 PM
You actually do. All mentioned producers were artists, adding their own artistic taste. That's why they lasted for a limited time period. When style changed they went out of fashion.

Max is different school. They analyse what is commercially appealable, try to mimic that while adding their own talent. This obviously works well for over two decades it maybe doesn't seem very artistic but they obviously love that approach, like so many other Swedish businesses. I think both approaches are valid.
I don't think it was because they are flavor of production went out of style it's because around 1991 is where they introduced soundscan which was a big catalyst for how we listen to music nowadays cuz before you used to be that billboard would call up the record shops and radio stations and tell them what was hot but now it's all about accurate sales and trying to cash in on what is the hottest trend. That resulted in shorter songs louder mixing less focus on instrumentation more focus on vocals and becoming more of a single market rather than an album market.

I think Max Martin would be nowhere it sounds scared never got implemented but would have probably gotten attention to his rock band and probably never becoming the producer he is now.