• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

New song - Sex Drug

Started by Scott Martin :), May 11, 2009, 03:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Martin :)

Hi all, this is my new song, I think this one is probably the most 'Max Martin' I've written yet.  :D

This is a rough mix, I have a few small tweaks still to make;

Sex Drug
http://www.scottcairns.com/tracks/Sex_Drug.mp3

Hope you like it,

Scott.

Raul_esp

Woww , this was great , the production is very good , I love the verses  it is very max , in some parts the production remind to me to I kissed a girl.

Great work Scott!

Linda

Hey Scott
your song is awesome, lovin the lyrics & i put it on my ipod =D
well done !

Hi Raul and Linda, Im glad you liked the song, thank you very much!

Regards,

Scott.

*Sabine*

It's very good yes, very I Kissed a Girl inspired! Congratulations!! Very strong song, I've already played it 3 times...
Please post the final version when it's done.
To improve it, you should make the drums sounds FATTER!  ;D

Rebecca

wow, well done Scott! it's very good.
Yes, there's definitely an I Kissed A Girl sound to it.
Definitely post the final version when it's finished.

Hi Sabine and Rebecca, thanks for the kind words. The song is a bit 'I Kissed A Girl' inspired, I was really trying to write a song that sat between that and 'Cuz I Can' -Pink, even Christine Aguilera's Superbitch. - That bouncing kind of drum beat thats so popular - 'So What' - also has that kind of beat.

As for a final version -well I hope you hear that when a famous singer takes up the song  ;)  ;D

Im writing and recording these songs in my home studio, my wife did the backup vocals, I paid a girl to sing lead.

The songs are just demo's to send to artists and to try and get them interested enough to sing them.

My apologies, i realised I just said it was a rough mix in the original post.

I did make some small adjustments, and Im working on fattening up the drums (thanks Sabine  ;) )

But its probably only 5% different, nothing drastic.

Feelgoodlies

I just heard the song, and I can say it is really nice Scott. Well done, but if you excuse me I have something to say about the production, well the music sounds like those "karaoke" music files we sing a long with, in other words, it doesn't sound very professional I mean like an original copy, I hope you understood me, it is great for you as a starter!

Always share with us please!

*Sabine*

Quote from: Feelgoodlies on May 14, 2009, 05:19:24 PM
I just heard the song, and I can say it is really nice Scott. Well done, but if you excuse me I have something to say about the production, well the music sounds like those "karaoke" music files we sing a long with, in other words, it doesn't sound very professional I mean like an original copy, I hope you understood me, it is great for you as a starter!

Always share with us please!

I actually had the same feeling. But don't get me wrong, your song is still great. I don't know anything about production (unfortunately  :-\ ) but I think you need to work on the sound of the instruments now, like making them unique and original.

Hi Guys, please bear in mind these are demo's only. Im sure Max's and Lukes demos are rough too.  ;)  :D

The problem is that we're all so used to hearing album quality production. That process involves a lot of professional people at the top of their game.  From the musicians, to the engineer recording them, to the guy that then mixes the song and then finally to the mastering facility. Not to mention also, Max's recording console is worth about the same as my house!!  ;D

*Sabine*

Quote from: Scott Martin :) on May 15, 2009, 03:02:15 AM
Hi Guys, please bear in mind these are demo's only. Im sure Max's and Lukes demos are rough too.  ;)  :D

The problem is that we're all so used to hearing album quality production. That process involves a lot of professional people at the top of their game.  From the musicians, to the engineer recording them, to the guy that then mixes the song and then finally to the mastering facility. Not to mention also, Max's recording console is worth about the same as my house!!  ;D

Yes, I'm aware of that. All the process of song recording is huge when you think about it!

Ive updated the mix, the timing of the vocals is a lot better.

Ive also fattened up the drums (thanks Sabine, great suggestion!)  ;)

http://www.scottcairns.com/tracks/Sex_Drug.mp3

*Sabine*

Thanks!!!
The drums are better now. Now if I can suggest smth else, I would also lower just a little bit the volume of the main voice. I noticed how loud is the instumental in the Cheiron tracks. You could also add some keyboard following the melody of the voice in the chorus. I think it feels great and once again most Cheiron tracks have it (the most famous being the "bells").
But gosh I love your song more and more. With all the tiny arrangements it can be really awesome!  ;D

Thanks Sabine! Are you a musician or songwriter? You gave great instincts.

The vocals are a little too loud, but Ive actually read that demo tracks should usually have the vocals like this so that the person considering the song can really hear the lyrics and vocal melody. (This is in a songwriting book by Jason Blume who has written for BSB, Britney and other artists.)

I like your idea of using a synth to follow the vocals in the chorus, I'll think about that. The production for this song is more like 'So What' than the earlier Cheiron stuff though. Cant remember if 'So What' used that technique..?

I really appreciate everyone's comments.