• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Larger Than Life = That's The Way I Like It

Started by B Steady, July 11, 2013, 06:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B Steady

To all the theory freaks in here!

Just compare the LTL progression with the TTWILI one!
The main difference is that the F chord in TTWILI has an A in the bass. Apart from that the songs are almost the same chord progression wise.
Vila i frid Dag

J_A24

That's the way I like it should've been a single.  One of the best songs from the Backstreet's Back album.

The chord progression on the bridge is so epic.

rhythmic5

they're definitely both in C minor, but I think their progressions are slightly different

TTWILI chorus looks like cm, gm, F, Gsus4, G (i, v, IV, Vsus4, V)
LTL chorus = cm, Bb, F repeated x3, ending with Ab, and Bb (i, VII, IV, VI, VII)

side note: an interesting thing I've found with denniz pop and 90's max martin is that they love using the Vsus4 > V and VIIsus4 > VII cadences

for example:
Jessica Folcker - Tell Me What You Like = i, VI, II, VII, Vsus4, V
NSYNC - Tearin Up My Heart = VI, VII, i, VII, VI, Vsus4, V, i, VIIsus4, VII (both candences in one chorus!)
NSYNC - It's Gonna Be Me = VI, VII, v, i, VI, V, i, VIIsus4, VII
Britney Spears - Lucky = I, vi, IV, Vsus4, V

B Steady

Quote from: rhythmic5 on July 16, 2013, 04:06:31 PM
they're definitely both in C minor, but I think their progressions are slightly different

TTWILI chorus looks like cm, gm, F, Gsus4, G (i, v, IV, Vsus4, V)
LTL chorus = cm, Bb, F repeated x3, ending with Ab, and Bb (i, VII, IV, VI, VII)

side note: an interesting thing I've found with denniz pop and 90's max martin is that they love using the Vsus4 > V and VIIsus4 > VII cadences

for example:
Jessica Folcker - Tell Me What You Like = i, VI, II, VII, Vsus4, V
NSYNC - Tearin Up My Heart = VI, VII, i, VII, VI, Vsus4, V, i, VIIsus4, VII (both candences in one chorus!)
NSYNC - It's Gonna Be Me = VI, VII, v, i, VI, V, i, VIIsus4, VII
Britney Spears - Lucky = I, vi, IV, Vsus4, V

yeah, maybe I exaggerated with "almost the same" but I don't agree with your TTWILI progression!
I think the second chord is a Bb (as in larger than life) and third chord is not a just F chord but an F chord with an A-bass.
and another similarity is the VI-VII-i progression in the bridge of TTWILI!

this VI-VII-i is probably the most used progression in Max Martin/Dr. Luke songs!it appears plenty of times in their songs!

just checked the other progressions, they are all right and yeah, the "sus-chords" created the tention in those songs and they have been a trademark of cheiron productions!
PS: tell me what you like is the only Denniz/Max production of your examples :P TUMH is done by Kristian, IGBM by Rami and Lucky by Max/Rami :)
Vila i frid Dag

B Steady

Drowning: keep me drowning in your love: E - F# - B  ≈ VI - VII - i
Everybody: rock your body right: F# - G# - bb = VI - VII - I
Everyone: so this one goes out to you: G# - Bb - c = VI - VII - I
Get Another Boyfriend: playin in the name of love: Bb - C - F ≈ VI - VII - i
I Want It That Way: ain't nothin but a heartache: D - E - f# = ≈ VI - VII - i
Larger Than Life: see above
Nobody But You: ... chance to make it right, time has come for us ...: C# - D# - f = VI - VII - i
Not For Me: ... not for me: G - A - b = VI - VII - i
Quit Playing Games: ... hangin' here forever, oh baby ...: G - A - b = VI - VII - i
Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely: ... being lonely ...: D - E - f# = VI - VII - i
That's The Way I Like It: see above
The Answer To Our Life: ... find the answer to our life: D - E - f#
The Call: ... battery is low: F# - G# - C# ≈ VI - VII - i
The One: ... run, I'll be the one ...: Eb - F - g = VI - VII - i
Vila i frid Dag

rhythmic5

Quote from: B Steady on July 19, 2013, 11:42:50 AM
yeah, maybe I exaggerated with "almost the same" but I don't agree with your TTWILI progression!
I think the second chord is a Bb (as in larger than life) and third chord is not a just F chord but an F chord with an A-bass.
and another similarity is the VI-VII-i progression in the bridge of TTWILI!

ahh, maybe I screwed up somewhere in my transcribing... I shall upload a midi in haste to see what happened

Quote from: B Steady on July 19, 2013, 11:42:50 AM
PS: tell me what you like is the only Denniz/Max production of your examples :P TUMH is done by Kristian, IGBM by Rami and Lucky by Max/Rami :)

haha whoops... good call on that. I should have said "cheiron production" :p

btw I never noticed the popularity of VI-VII-i. such an epic list for comparison! I think you might be off on The Call though, pretty sure that's VI-VII-III hehe

adding to the list of VI-VII-i songs:
Adam Lambert - Whataya Want from Me: ...just dont give up
E-Type - Back 2 Life: ..beat I'm back to life..
Katy Perry - California Girls: ...fornia girls we're unforgettable..
Nsync - It's Gonna Be Me: ..no man no cry/maybe that's.. (prechorus)
Pink - Who Knew: ..someone said 3 years from now you'd be...