• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Inside-info: CHEIRON Songwriting Techniques and "Rules"

Started by ununtitled, January 15, 2014, 11:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ununtitled

Hi guys!

Does anyone here on the forum know anything about the songwriting/production techniques/formulas/rules that the Cheiron used? Yeah, I guess many of you are thinking; "There is no rules etc ..."

I think that there is no way that every producer that came out of Cheiron (Max Martin, Rami Yacoub, Kristian Lundin, Andreas Carlsson etc.) could've had this enormous success without having some fundamental tricks or formula up their sleeve.
By techniques/formulas/rules I mean stuff like "You should try not to have more than 3 melodic parts" or "The chorus should hit in after 40 seconds" or "The verse melody ideally should not contain tonic - so it builds up tension to be released in the chorus"
... I think you get it!

So, what did Denniz Pop teach the guys to have in mind when aiming for a great pop song?

shisho

I think there are. Listen to all their songs, analyze them and write down the techniques. They use almost the same formula.

I have a question though... what do you mean by "You should try not to have more than 3 melodic parts"?

/Mel
Music Producer & Songwriter
Stockholm, Sweden

-------------------------------------
http://blucastproductions.wordpress.com/

B Steady

Quote from: shisho on January 15, 2014, 02:02:37 PM
I think there are. Listen to all their songs, analyze them and write down the techniques. They use almost the same formula.

I have a question though... what do you mean by "You should try not to have more than 3 melodic parts"?

/Mel

Maybe he meant verse / chorus / mid8
Vila i frid Dag

georg_e

It's referring to keeping different melodies to a minimum......read somewhere recently where Max said the listener can only handle a couple of melody ideas, so stick to just a few.  Think of "Hot 'n Cold" for example......

shisho

So he probably means motifs. Isn't normally the rule of thumb in pop songs to use one motif per song which is developed across the song?
Music Producer & Songwriter
Stockholm, Sweden

-------------------------------------
http://blucastproductions.wordpress.com/

georg_e

Quote from: shisho on January 15, 2014, 02:53:38 PM
So he probably means motifs. Isn't normally the rule of thumb in pop songs to use one motif per song which is developed across the song?
I don't think they necessarily have to be developed across the song -- they CAN be of course -- but every song is different. I really think just keeping in mind the general concept of simplicity is all that's needed :-)

j.fco.morales

Max did some amazing variations with the choruses post middle 8, same chords, same words, different melody.

Raul_esp

Very interesting , I think 3 differentes melodies in a pop song is the perfect , maybe 4 if we count the bridge that sometimes is a new melody.

B Steady

well, the question is: what is a melody? you can count a whole verse as one melody but you can also say, only 2 bars are one melody and then the next melody is coming in
Vila i frid Dag

j.fco.morales

I think it's better to identify the different parts of the song first: A - A1 - B - A - A1 - B - C - B x2

Raul_esp

Quote from: B Steady on January 16, 2014, 12:49:17 AM
well, the question is: what is a melody? you can count a whole verse as one melody but you can also say, only 2 bars are one melody and then the next melody is coming in

For me a melody is an group of chords that are repeated Succesively , In a pop song the verse usually cointains an only melody , The chorus and Middle 8 the same.
You can to have too a melody with one chord but I prefer a melody longer.

j.fco.morales

Quote from: Raul_esp on January 17, 2014, 01:13:14 AM
For me a melody is an group of chords that are repeated Succesively , In a pop song the verse usually cointains an only melody , The chorus and Middle 8 the same.
You can to have too a melody with one chord but I prefer a melody longer.

Actually, there are many examples of amazing melodies with long chords or little to none variations: Anything Could Happen by Ellie Goulding is a great example.

J_A24