• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Why the Swedes?

Started by turnaround, April 21, 2007, 12:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnaround

As we all know Sweden is THE pop exporting country of the world.
And the 3rd biggest music export country, despite having just a few million inhabitants.

If you watch Swedish shows and there is a live performance, they won't just display the title and the artist's name, but also who wrote it.

I guess you won't have that in any other country.

But why exactly Sweden?

I often thought about it, and I just had a few ideas:

1. They speak English very well. From kindergarten they have "lessons", movies aren't subtitled and so everyone learns English from the very beginning if they want to or not.

2. The team work. I guess it has been a benefit for all the artists, that almost every song has been written by a team of writers who know each other very well, and many of course have been friends. So they know exactly who could help out, if there is a lack of ideas, and who could bring something new to the song. Working at one house "Cheiron" has made this easier, so you just had to ask the person from the next room, in case you needed help, I am sure.

3. The unashamed cheesyness. I guess while other, I imagine especially the native writers, hesitated to write some cheesy songs, the Swedes just did it. No matter how embarrassing the lyrics might be, or how greasy the chorus might sound, they just recorded it anyway, and it was obviously exactly what the people wanted to hear.

Any ideas, it would be interesting to hear what think of it. [/u]
And I liked it..

Rebecca

Yes, I would like to know that too

I think speaking English well is a key factor - I've heard all their tv shows are in English and not overdubbed.

I think I read that everyone in Sweden learns an instrument? there is some sort of government subsidy for learning a musical instrument, is that true? (here it's expensive for music tuition)

but why else? maybe a Swede could help with this?

turnaround

Oh and in general, newcomer bands are supported I heard. And almost every songwriter came from a band (rock band) I thought..
And I liked it..

jarle

Haha I must say, being Swedish, it's quite fun reading your analysis about Swedes ;) It sounds like we're some kind of weird aliens.. :D Love it!

turnaround

No offence, basically these are all compliments.  :lol:  :)
And I liked it..

jarle

Yeah I know! But it's fun reading :D

Rebecca

Yes, they're definitely compliments!
You must admit it's unusual, Sweden has only about 8 million people yet is the 3rd biggest exporter of music in the world i think.

I think it's very interesting.

NIKLAS"NiCkY"

WE are simply the best .....  :P ...
If you can dream it, you can be it.

Alex Martin

Zlatan Ibrahimovic simply the best :D

maxmartin'sfan

i'm The best  8)  lool

:shock:  :shock:

Massproductions

Quote from: "Rebecca"
I think I read that everyone in Sweden learns an instrument? there is some sort of government subsidy for learning a musical instrument, is that true? (here it's expensive for music tuition)

I've heard that before and it's not really true... At least at my school, everybody that was 8 years old got to play flute. And if we wanted to go on playing another instrument next year we had to pay. It's called the municipal school of music. I learned guitar there for many years and it's quite expensive actually.

Rebecca

Quote from: "Massproductions"
Quote from: "Rebecca"

I've heard that before and it's not really true... At least at my school, everybody that was 8 years old got to play flute. And if we wanted to go on playing another instrument next year we had to pay. It's called the municipal school of music. I learned guitar there for many years and it's quite expensive actually.

Thanks, that clears that rumour up!

SweTonyUS

One commonly used swedish explanation for the commercial success of swedish songwriters is the possibility to learn how to play an istrument for free in school. Although I think this is a very good policy I believe it has had only a marginal effect on music exports. Why? Well the main chunk of the music export is the work of a small number of songwriters who are very productive. I don't believe that any of these people ever contemplated what they would do in their life or had trouble learning instruments on their own.  Think of Benny and Björn, Max Martin, Per Gessle, Jörgen Elofsson, Peter Svensson (cardigans), jonas bergren (ace of base), martin eriksson (e-type), alexander bard (army of lovers and bwo) and Ola Salo (the ark).  That's ten people. I wonder how big percentage of swedish music exports that they are responsible for? Obviously there are many more but let's take the 100 most successful songwriters (in terms of exports) which still is a very small group. They should be responsible for more than 95% of the exports. I recall reading somewhere that the swedish music business employs some 15000 people so of course it's also a teamwork but it's mainly at the top that the value is created.

Ok in the last years many highly musically talented people (although not being of the benny and max calibre) have probably been influenced to write songs because of the success of other swedes.  Success is giving birth to success. Still neither these people probably learned instruments because of the school policy.

secski

The weather? :D

Whatever the reason, swedish music is fantastic. Dont forget that dude who wrote Save Tonight, eagle eye cherry, i think he's swedish too.

*Sabine*

Maybe it's also the hige influence of Abba right from the beginning, and then Ace Of Base. Pop/dance is deeply rooted in people's musical tastes.