• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Is anyone else underwhelmed by Max Martin's latest songs?

Started by rxpills, May 22, 2016, 08:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rxpills

Apart from one or two songs on Taylor Swift's 1989, "Love Me Like You Do," and "Can't Feel My Face," I find most of his songs (in the last 2-3 years) mediocre. In my opinion, the best songs on Ariana Grande's album aren't even produced by him. Not to mention, the awful "Focus" which was left on the cutting room floor. The common denominator I find in his worst songs is that he co-produces them with Ilya.

But it's more than that. I feel like Max has lost something. I was even disappointed with JT's (of whom I'm a big fan of) "Can't Stop the Feeling." I realize that my saying this coincides with arguably Martin's most successful period as a songwriter. Does anyone else feel this way or are my ears losing the ability to recognize great pop songs? I wish Max would work with Luke again. They seemed to get the best out of each other, but fat chance of that happening  :'(

bugmenot

It's just you. You are getting old and whiny. Last day is better than next day. I forget how this psychological phenom is called.

Song is still an ART, as I remember, art never meant to be liked by everyone.
I don't like JT song too. I also hate similar Uptown Funk. But the reason is in me, not in bad composers.

If you love all 12 songs from album with first listen — it's a marketing, a social virus, etc., like 1989, it's not about music, it's emotional attachment to wisely made up artist's image.

Focus > any 1989 song.

Rebecca

I disagree, however I think the newer songs might take a bit longer it get into.

With JT's "Can't Stop This Feeling", it took me a long long time to get into it, several days but then it just clicked and now it's stuck in my head the whole time and it might be one of my favourites of recent years.

The same thing happened with Ariana Grande's "Into You", didn't really get it but now I love it so much.

I do miss Max/Luke writing together though.

j.fco.morales

Quote from: Rebecca on May 22, 2016, 12:03:22 PMI do miss Max/Luke writing together though.

+1.

And I think: if you don't like something, why waste time and energy throwing shade?

Polarmachine

I gotta say my fav Max periods are the Cheiron era (obviously), and then 2008-2012.
Between 08-12 he had it going with both Lukes camp (Katy, Kesha, Britney etc.) and also made the sickest hits with Shellback. Golden era for me.

nanofives

I used to think the best Max era was Luke's but I think Max is now at his peak with Ali, I cant tell how much I love that sound.

rxpills

That said, I do love what Mattoon & Robin are doing a lot!

Dr. Fleischman

I partially agree that the songs are not as good as they used to be. I think that beside Max and Shellback the Wolf Cousins guys are more track oriented and they tend to write songs to the (ready to go) music track. It lacks that big, beautiful, catchy melodies Max or Shellback would start the songwriting process with. Just my speculation. Still the best team in the world though.

uberweiss

Quote from: bugmenot on May 22, 2016, 10:58:43 AM
It's just you. You are getting old and whiny. Last day is better than next day. I forget how this psychological phenom is called.

Ahahaha. So true.

"Can't Stop The Feeling!" is beautiful, "Into You" is one of his biggest bangers EVER, "Just Like Fire" is classic hook-filled magic, "Hands To Myself" is deeply weird, very different for Max, yet a complete drug effect. Don't even get me started on the brilliance of "Cool For The Summer". One of my favourite Max songs ever.

The production work on 1989, Delirium and Dangerous Woman (his biggest projects of last few years) is crisp, detailed, interesting, as melodic as ever, really addictive, etc.

So no, Max is not falling off at all.

B Steady

Quote from: uberweiss on May 29, 2016, 11:32:57 AM
Ahahaha. So true.

"Can't Stop The Feeling!" is beautiful, "Into You" is one of his biggest bangers EVER, "Just Like Fire" is classic hook-filled magic, "Hands To Myself" is deeply weird, very different for Max, yet a complete drug effect. Don't even get me started on the brilliance of "Cool For The Summer". One of my favourite Max songs ever.

The production work on 1989, Delirium and Dangerous Woman (his biggest projects of last few years) is crisp, detailed, interesting, as melodic as ever, really addictive, etc.

So no, Max is not falling off at all.

q.e.d.
Vila i frid Dag

Addicted2Melody

[url]
Quote from: Dr. Fleischman on May 28, 2016, 01:23:10 PM
It lacks that big, beautiful, catchy melodies Max or Shellback would start the songwriting process with.

This. Max/Luke/Shellback were like the dream team: cool sounding vocal melody interval jumps paired with counterpoint chord progressions that hit the dopamine jackpot over and over. While the newer songs aren't as melodically satisfying to me as the Cheiron and Max/Luke years, what I think Max is doing now is super interesting.

I think Max Martin is deepening his craft with his new output. Shorter melodic hooks that are more like earworms meant to surface in your head a day or so after you've heard the song.

Here are some examples:

Ellie Goulding - On My Mind
why-i-got-you-on-my-mind
you-think-you-know-some-body

Demi Lovato - Cool For The Summer
don't tell your mother-kissed one another
die for each other-we're cool for the summer

Taylor Swift - Shake It Off
that's-what-people-say-mm-mm
cuz-the-players-gonna-play-play-play-play-play

Justin Timberlake - Can't Stop The Feeling
Nothing-I-can-see-but-you
when-you-dance-dance-dance
Feeling good-good-creeping-up-on-you
So just-dance-dance-dance

Ariana Grande - Into You
So baby come light me up - and maybe I'll let you on it
A little bit dangerous -but baby that's how I want it
Cause I'm so - into you - into you - into you

All of the above are short melodic phrases that seem primed to be hummed or sung, possibly throughout the day without really knowing what the words are at all. The ability to execute this complicated type of melodic and rhythmic simplicity is one of the things I find so impressive about Martin's craft.

Have you ever seen a little kid running around singing part of a song over and over (usually with total nonsense lyrics)? I think Max Martin is tapping into this pre-language hook center of our brains - at least in terms of making his most recent productions memorable to the widest possible audience. These are hooks that are on a level of stickiness where they could probably be sung in any language and still get stuck in your head after only minimal or passive listening.

On a totally different note - this is actually my first post on here and I'm excited to be a part of this place! Been lurking for years haha..

nanofives

j.fco.morales

It's the rhythm of the melody.

I have a whole theory after reading the syllabe math thread in this forum.

melodicmoonlight

Quote from: Addicted2Melody on May 31, 2016, 03:06:58 AM

Have you ever seen a little kid running around singing part of a song over and over (usually with total nonsense lyrics)? I think Max Martin is tapping into this pre-language hook center of our brains - at least in terms of making his most recent productions memorable to the widest possible audience. These are hooks that are on a level of stickiness where they could probably be sung in any language and still get stuck in your head after only minimal or passive listening.

On a totally different note - this is actually my first post on here and I'm excited to be a part of this place! Been lurking for years haha..

I just saw a young girl today singing the hook in Rihanna's "Work" which, while not written by Max, totally taps into that nonsense melodic catchiness; a repetitive hook, usually in a staccato rhythm.

And (official) welcome to the forum!