• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Kim Petras Official Thread

Started by melodicmoonlight, August 04, 2017, 08:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

melodicmoonlight

The leak is just okay. Nothing special or dynamic about the melody. Definitely demo status

melodicmoonlight

I love Coconuts and Hit It from the Back... two raunchy songs with Luke's unmistakable mark. Cant wait to hear them in full

j.fco.morales

I was laughing throughout the whole song with these lyrics hahahaha

nanofives

She can get a kick start if she collaborated with someone relevant, just like Doja did with the remix of Juicy.

Snipes3000

She followed the traject set out by AWAL. It is a system of hierarchy. She grew so big that she got to the highest level in the hierarchy which is getting signed to a major label. Their strategy is somewhere on their website. She, just like Lil Nas X, is very relevant to spread a positive message to society, a message of inclusiveness of both gays (nas) and ts (kim)
Hi, I'm Luke and I'm sitting on my throne! Oh, and have you noticed that Denniz PoP songs are extremely hooky?

j.fco.morales

She has star potencial. No doubt. She is managed by Shannon Bayersdorfer at Maverick Management.

She's about to blow. And she gives me some kind of early Katy Perry vibes with the twisted sense of humor.

Snipes3000

I totally understand your point of view getawaydriver. I'm on your side. I would like to add that 14 year old kids perhaps won't find a person who was once a guy now a girl to be cool or relatable and that it is the missing factor in this case.
Hi, I'm Luke and I'm sitting on my throne! Oh, and have you noticed that Denniz PoP songs are extremely hooky?

j.fco.morales

Well, at first I thought Doja Cat would never make it and she's huge now. Moo was like WTF.

So, there are no rules. We don't have trans pop stars and Kim is a cool option to open minds.

melodicmoonlight

I find it funny how there is SO much emphasis on Kim getting "huge" and having her breakthrough like Doja. Maybe she's poised for it, having signed with a label.

That doesn't guarantee anything, it just means she's getting invested in more financially. Booking the VMAs and EMAs, attending the Met Gala, etc are all huge for her. I'd like to see people celebrate that more than wondering if she can crossover to mainstream. Just being at these events is huge for a trans pop star - her EMAs performance was a spectacle with nearly 40 dancers. She's come a long way.

melodicmoonlight

Quote from: Snipes3000 on November 16, 2021, 03:45:00 PM
I totally understand your point of view getawaydriver. I'm on your side. I would like to add that 14 year old kids perhaps won't find a person who was once a guy now a girl to be cool or relatable and that it is the missing factor in this case.

Daaamn. This post reeks of transphobia. I'm not one to use that word lightly but a lot of the conversation here is being done so in a very narrow, fixed mindset.

Why should we automatically assume that just because a "typical" 14 year old kid won't find a trans woman cool means it is out of the question? Also, how do you define a "typical" 14 year old these days? Gen Z is the most progressive generation yet and I think changing our own bias mindsets is the first step in changing the terrible perception trans people face in society.

Again, I'm no SJW and I suppose discourse around trans visibility in pop music is an important one to be had, but much of it surrounding Kim has a very pointed and negative tone lately. Idk if it's bc she's leaning into hyper-sexualized raunch/camp with Coconuts (also, since when has pop/hip-hop/rap/etc NOT been hyper-sexualized??) and that makes people uncomfortable? or if transphobia is truly more pervasive in the pop community than even I thought. Either way, it's disconcerting  :-\

Snipes3000

It's not that I think in a transphobic way, I in fact like everything she does and I hope she gets the opportunity to become the next big thing, the next poster girl. However, I have the view that a transphobic mindset is much more likely to be present in an undeveloped brain, as is the case with 14 year olds (don't argue that their brain is totally developed, because theoretically it is not). If they are receptive to transphobia, relatability to the artist decreases. I anticipate that the group of youngsters who find ts people (openly) not cool (or: unrelatable) will be huge majority. So don't transphobia me and let's see what they do, how they embrace her.

melodicmoonlight

Quote from: Snipes3000 on November 17, 2021, 12:59:45 PM
It's not that I think in a transphobic way, I in fact like everything she does and I hope she gets the opportunity to become the next big thing, the next poster girl. However, I have the view that a transphobic mindset is much more likely to be present in an undeveloped brain, as is the case with 14 year olds (don't argue that their brain is totally developed, because theoretically it is not). If they are receptive to transphobia, relatability to the artist decreases. I anticipate that the group of youngsters who find ts people (openly) not cool (or: unrelatable) will be huge majority. So don't transphobia me and let's see what they do, how they embrace her.

Undeveloped brains aren't the only ones that have the capacity for prejudice, let alone transphobia. Fully developed adult brains do too. Besides, kids brains are way more malleable. Also, I'd argue that often times relatability increases the more someone engages with a person they had a prejudice against. Listening to their story, consuming their content/music... it humanizes them.

Either way, in my opinion, saying "oof, not sure she'll make it, she's trans" doesn't have the best optics. It's almost like a self-fulfilling prophecy by way of suggestion. Even putting that out there is perpetuating the stereotype that trans people can't be successful in a mainstream market. It might be difficult, sure, because it's not the norm. The truth is, Kim has already garnered commercial success to a degree. The goal by having her signed to Republic is to broaden that influence.

nanofives

No one would have agreed 2 or 3 years ago that a song about gay sex by a black rapper would reach N1 and be one of the most successful songs that year.
Homophobia and transphobia still exists, but it doesn't mean the general public won't consume the music made by these artists and generate big commercial success. Kim Petras may be paving the way for future artists like these, or even one for herself, I still have faith that she will blow up eventually.
Luckily no one is complaining she's working with Luke anymore, that's a step forward.
I would say she should detach herself from Paris Hilton, there's more prejudice from being close to her rather than being Trans IMO.

j.fco.morales

Well, things are changing. Kim is very cis-looking and people wouldn't even notice she's a trans woman.

Snipes3000

-I don't take back a word of what I say. If I see children being scared or finding TS people weird, then I can address that and say that it is a factor which potentially decreases relatability. Dont blame me for the situation, I only observe what I see in my society.

-Children are malleable and that's why pop music is focused on them. I did not speak of adults and I don't speak about adults when I discuss the question whether some new pop thing will make it or not because traditionally adults are irrelevant to the answer of that question. I don't care about adults experience of new pop music.

-Stop calling me transphobic. I do not agree with people who think like transphobics think. I only touch upon people who do think like that. When I grew up children only openly listened to cool artists, and whatever be the case they couldn't be gay because you could get mocked for that. It was just a fact back then and as far as I know time hasn't evolved so hard that suddenly gays aren't target of mockery at high schools anymore.