• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Max Martin Billboard songs

Started by gm33, January 10, 2015, 04:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gm33

Found this gem on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_unaxZFWLRs

Amazing video of all of Max's Billboard-charted songs though 2014.

What struck me was how much higher on the charts Max's songs are over the last few years vs. the 90s what we on the forum think was the golden-age of Max. My question is: why? A few possibilities:
1) Pop music wasn't as popular in the 90s as it is today?
2) The artists he's working with now are more popular than those in the 90s?
3) His music is "better" today (as judged by the average listener who power the Billboard charts)

-----------------------------------------------------------
"I was writing with Max Martin and Johan Shellback who are two of my absolute songwriting heroes, they are just absolute melodic geniuses." - Taylor Alison Swift,  August 2012

Rex

I think billboard has changed the way the Hot 100 chart is made. They began to take into consideration digital sales and youtube reproductions.

max_martin_fan

Maybe he got better with the years, too.

Voodoo

Rebecca

Axel

gm33: I think it primarily is because European pop pretty much had no chance in the US in the 90s where everything was RnB/Rap-driven. Melodic European pop didn't really break through in the US until the 2000s. Don't you guys agree?

j.fco.morales

I think that european late 90s pop sounds a lot like 90's R&B.
The difference is the approach: the melodies are waaaaay more catchy and the lyrics come from other place.

I think Britney started all this stuff globally, but first we had Billie Piper, and Spice Girls -in another form- and Robyn...

sweetmelody

Rex is absolutely correct. Billboard has changed the way do things since then. I've heard some people say that it's "easier" now, but I disagree. Since the music biz model has changed so much since then, Billboard is taking into account how people listen. That said, radio is still a huge driver of hit songs and if you look at the radio numbers for the big Max hits recently, they've all dominated radio (example: currently, Blank Space is #1 on radio, Love Me Harder #3, and Shake it Off only recently dropped out of the Top 40 radio play).