• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Dr Luke's new record label - NOT able to work with Katy Perry!?

Started by JackSnr, November 08, 2011, 06:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackSnr

So according to this article (and a few other whisperings we've been hearing over the last year) Dr Luke's new record lable Kemosabe (or something like that I think  :P ) is being launched in January under Sony and in exchange, Dr Luke with produce EXCLUSIVELY for Sony artists and, as the article mentions, because Katy Perry is signed to EMI, that means they cannot work together! What do you guys think of this? Surly they will find some way around it? Or will Katy's new record just be Max...

Here is the article
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/08/business/media/at-sony-music-a-plan-to-dominate-the-industry.html

Axel

well, I can see why Luke signed this. It simply is a pretty damn good deal. I wonder how much he gets paid for this. But clearly, he needs to deliver as well. But the reason he did this probably is primarily so he can work with the artists he wants to, instead of just the ones that a record company approaches him with. He can sign new talent and I think that's what excites him the most. To find new talents, to sign them, and to break them through. He'll probably sign Benny Blanco exclusively as a producer too. :-)

Rebecca

I think this is extremely exciting for Dr Luke. I bet he'll be paid very well!
good point re Katy Perry, maybe she'll leave EMI and sign with Sony? anyone know when her contract is up? I'm sure Dr Luke would want to work with her again.
He should definitely sign Benny Blanco. I wonder if this will make a difference to who Max works with?

Axel

turnaround

Good thread. It's a bit odd. Shouldn't the producer be able to work for the artist he thinks he can contribute best?

It's all a bit risky too: I wonder for how long the Dr Luke trend will last. We often had times when one producer was dominating the whole scene.

Dr Dre, Timbaland, Ryan Tedder, RedOne....

I guess Dr Luke is here to stay though of course, but with only a "limited" artist range it's not the same anymore maybe.
And I liked it..

georg_e

Such a great article !  I'm happy that in this age when everybody's freaking out about the collapse of music as a profit, they're still focusing on hits!! I think this is less about him remaining dominant as a producer/sound... (nothing lasts forever like you said, Turnaround),  but this way he can be a great executive and keep delivering hits that way.......and still write/produce as well when he wants.  I think they're are looking at a bigger picture than just his own sound.....very smart :)   

JackSnr

Quote from: georg_e on November 08, 2011, 06:30:02 PM
      Such a great article !  I'm happy that in this age when everybody's freaking out about the collapse of music as a profit, they're still focusing on hits!! I think this is less about him remaining dominant as a producer/sound... (nothing lasts forever like you said, Turnaround),  but this way he can be a great executive and keep delivering hits that way.......and still write/produce as well when he wants.  I think they're are looking at a bigger picture than just his own sound.....very smart :)

I think George is right. And there has been a trend AWAY from the Dr Luke sound in the last few months with artists like Adele becoming more prominent. And yes I'm sure Luke will get paid VERY well! haha If I were Katy I would go wherever Luke goes.

Unexpected

I don't know if Katy's career can survive without Luke, he's basically her music, the only hit she had not by him or Max is Firework, she really limited herself, and let's what will happen in the future.

turnaround

Btw - does anyone know, does Luke have sisters who also sing?

See for example the background vocals for Keshas "Take it off":

Background Vocals – Claude Kelly, Aniela Gottwald, Tatiana Gottwald, Lukasz Gottwald, Graham Bryce
And I liked it..

Dominik

maybe these were just the backround shout choirs you hear in the song and maybe he
invided some relatives in the studio to have a big crowd doing them?! I know that he's got one sister also active in
the music business as an engineer or something. unfortunately forgot the name...
she also sits next to luke at the ascap sessions were he talks about the productions...Maybe I'm
wrong but I got something stuck in the back of my mind ... ;)

turnaround

No I think you are right.

Tatiana is also in the Jessie J booklet mentioned as an engineer!
And I liked it..

Rebecca

yeah, I think Dr Luke has 3 sisters, or maybe even 4? I think one of them is about 15. If I was his sister, I'd want to work with him too

It will be very interesting to see what will happen to Katy Perry, she really needs Dr Luke.

JackSnr

Hopefully Max Will still work with Katy... though Max hasn't really released anything in the past few months.

If Katy can still get Max then I think she'll be okay. If not, then she will be facing a whole horde of new artists from Dr Luke each with the same sound that made her famous.

Feelgoodlies

They will figure out a way eventually, that girl lives for Max and Luke songs

Joshua

Just noticed this tweet from Luke:

"Thank you @SonyMusicGlobal for allowing me to do #ROAR !! It would not have happened if it wasn't for Doug Morris. #SONYMUSIC BEST!!!"

I'm guessing he's still locked in with his exclusive Sony contract, but they're allowing him to do outside work on occasions.