• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Mixed by Serban Ghenea

Started by j.fco.morales, April 21, 2016, 08:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j.fco.morales

I'm a big fan of Jaycen Joshua -he was mentored by Dave Pensado-, Josh Gudwin and I LOVE Tchad Blake.

But I'm really into early 2000's mixing style: Steve Hodge, Dana Jon Chapelle, Tony Maserati.

Helluvafella

Besides Serban,

I dig Mark ,,Spike" Stent. Super balanced, punchy mixes, very British sounding low end.
Manny Marroquin, biggest low end in the game and very polished sounding.
Joe Zook, his mixes always sound very musical and tasteful.

When it comes to rock I dig Bob Clearmountain. I especially dig all his Bryan adams records. Super tasteful mixes.
Randy Staub is amazing as well, CLA and his brother Tom of course.

Phil Tan has really good mixes as well, although I haven't heard anything substantial from him in a couple of years.

Snipes3000

Serban did a mix for Weezer I'm Your Daddy (Dr Luke production) but it didn't make the cut. For those interesting in Serban, compare the Serban mix to the one that got released. They're both on youtube and you'll really notice difference in style between those mixes. P.s. I love how he mixed the La Roux album.
Hi, I'm Luke and I'm sitting on my throne! Oh, and have you noticed that Denniz PoP songs are extremely hooky?

Helluvafella

Quote from: Snipes3000 on July 06, 2021, 12:51:55 PM
Serban did a mix for Weezer I'm Your Daddy (Dr Luke production) but it didn't make the cut. For those interesting in Serban, compare the Serban mix to the one that got released. They're both on youtube and you'll really notice difference in style between those mixes. P.s. I love how he mixed the La Roux album.

Yeah, I know that one. I definitely prefer the Serban mix.
I think it was a stylistic decision of the band.

I still believe Max somehow also ,,made" Serban's career because he entrusted him with every single song and no one else. That is huge for a mixing engineer. The first song Serban mixed for Max was Britney's ,,Overprotected". Since then every Max song has Serban as mix engineer. There's even a video on YouTube of max listening to Serbans mix of ,,Overprotected" and clearly loving it.

Have you guys heard the mixing engineer dispute between Max Martin and Bon Jovi for ,,It's my life"? Bon Jovi wanted Bob clearmountain to mix the song, Max wanted Serban to mix the song. Max told the band that he was going to remove his and Rami's credits from the song if Serban wasn't going to get the gig. In the end, Bob Clearmountain mixed the song and somehow they removed Rami's name from the credits but kept Max'. Pretty weird 😂

Quote from: Snipes3000 on July 06, 2021, 12:51:55 PMP.s. I love how he mixed the La Roux album.

The mixing on that record is amazing! I hate the mastering though. Every song sounds smashed to oblivion with audible distortion. It's almost hard to listen to it on really good speakers. Such a waste of otherwise amazing mixes.

Snipes3000

Ilbert came to Maratone around 2005 and I think that he was primarily involved with Max as a sound engineer and most if not all of his involvements were in guitar driven songs.

Serban's sound doesn't fit to the character of rock as well as the sound of other engineers. That's likely why his I'm Your Daddy mix was not chosen.
Hi, I'm Luke and I'm sitting on my throne! Oh, and have you noticed that Denniz PoP songs are extremely hooky?

Helluvafella

Quote from: AlexanderLaBrea on July 05, 2021, 05:28:13 PM
4 hit songs in like 10-15 years? :) Isn't it more interesting that 4 of the biggest female pop stars in later years are of Albanian descent? Rita Ora, Dua Lipa, Ava Max, Bebe Rexha. Or that like at least 8 of the biggest DJ's in the world are from the Netherlands.

I saw this picture the other day and it reminded me of your DJ from the Netherlands post :)

Snipes3000

I wanted to write you guys about it but then decided to link you guys the documentary. A quick find only resulted in the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbszqGw11Gg This is about the history of dutch dance music and it is very telling to why dutch dj's are as good as they are. I am dutch myself. When you grow up, you see those dj's and believe that the way into music is through dance music (although that is wrong thinking, but was right from roughly 2010-2015 as dance trends set foot into pop music back then, giving people like ali payami and oscar holter opportunitie to work with max).

Helluvafella

Quote from: Snipes3000 on July 08, 2021, 05:55:10 PM
I wanted to write you guys about it but then decided to link you guys the documentary. A quick find only resulted in the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbszqGw11Gg This is about the history of dutch dance music and it is very telling to why dutch dj's are as good as they are. I am dutch myself. When you grow up, you see those dj's and believe that the way into music is through dance music (although that is wrong thinking, but was right from roughly 2010-2015 as dance trends set foot into pop music back then, giving people like ali payami and oscar holter opportunitie to work with max).

Thanks for sharing. The trailer looks very interesting. Gotta check it out somewhere

Snipes3000

If you have tried your best to find it and it didn't work out, let me know and I'll do my best to provide it for you.

Helluvafella

Awesome. Thank you. Will do! Since you're from the Netherlands, how do you explain the tremendous gain in popularity of dance music in 2010-2015 all over the world? I mean, guys like Nicky Romero, Tiesto, Afrojack have been around for a much longer time than 2010 but there was something very weird going on in those years. Almost every pop song had the typical ,,four on the floor" beat. Max was doing dubstep influenced tracks for Britney and the world discovered Avicii and Martin Garrix.

Snipes3000

My starting point is, and I quote Dr Luke: "Music moves in cycles, you know". I could write a whole essay on how the music cycle works but I won't right now. The rise of dance music in the US pop music cycle was very much intertwined with the rise of internet videos, which often had edm music in the background.

A similar pattern occured with the rise of MTV intertwined with Michael Jackson's music, Napstar and the internet, and American Idols. The last few music cycles were inspired by technological changes in the behaviour of consuments.

What might be the next technological thing which changes the music? It was suggested in 2018 by Guy Zapoleon that it could be Alexa (smart speakers), which selects the songs for you according to your mood: "alexa, play sad songs". Basically, streaming services like spotify do something similar and it might be true after all, the zapoleon prediction. At the same time, another development that has happened is "social media stories" where you select your background music and, of course, in a similar fashion tiktok. But to me it's one of the hardest thing of the question of how the music cycle will move: what will be the thing that determines the next thing? It could be something which we don't even know yet that it exists. For example, raising the idea of downloading music from the internet for free back in 1994... people would say you are crazy. David Guetta speculated on Dutch tv that post lockdown would have an impact on music development, in particular stimulated by an excessive need of young people to unite at music festivals.

Helluvafella

I think David Guetta is right in that regard. Especially young people are fed up with sitting at home and isolating so festivals definitely will be big.

Tik Tok is definitely sculpting the music business right now, as well as playlists as you said. Therefore it is very important for artists to build a brand people can recognize. If an artists song is in a big playlist, it could rank up millions of plays, still people don't care who the artist is. That's where brands come in.

I think it's really hard to predict the future. I think mashups could somehow become more of a thing. I see more people doing mashup of two popular songs and people dig it. For me, I totally dislike that idea of combing two already existing song, but kids seem to dig it.