• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Attempting to convert another song to something close to the Cheiron style

Started by chramos2007, August 21, 2021, 09:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chramos2007

I decided to try and make another song fit the Cheiron style. I tried to do a full-on cover of "Call Me, Beep Me" the last time I attempted something like this but I decided to just give up on it since I not only couldn't open the project file (I still only have the FL studio demo), but also I feel like I tried too hard with it and it ended up not sounding great.

This time, I tried to just adapt another song into the Cheiron style using things that were already out there such as multitracks and stems (also to be a bit specific, I'm specifically referring to the style of something like Britney Spears and Robyn's albums - to me, the specific style of both NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys are a different beast entirely since the drums are quite a bit more complex and that's a bit too much for me ). I thought about it a lot first and I had a few requirements for it -

- Had to be a song I already knew rather well
- Had to have multitracks available
- Had to have one thing in common with a song produced at Cheiron

I ended up going with a song from a video game - "Still Alive" from Portal, written by Jonathan Coulton. The song is acoustic rock with a lot of guitars - acoustic and electronic, a simple but nice bass line and a VERY nice melody. The songs' multitracks ended up getting released via Rock Band, and I had already known about it for ages since I've replayed Portal several times (amazing game). The song also had a pattern similar to NSYNC's "I Want You Back" - every chorus is 7 measures which is then followed up by a 4 measure break and then something else.

https://soundcloud.com/chris-338945149/sa_8-21-21_tr1

This took about 3 days to make. I used samples from the "...Baby One More Time" multitrack but also some other places to try and make the beat feel a little more full to try and substitute for the fact I own next to none of the original hardware used at Cheiron for music - those being the intro percussion to "Why Can't we Live Together" and the weirdest sample I've used so far in any of my music - the Wii Diskcheck tool music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4OVrdzD6uo (isn't it obvious I'm a nerd yet?)  I also sampled the snare from the "Genie In a Bottle" multitrack since it's the closest I could find that has that breathy sound. There's some parts that sound off, namely the part where the last verse would be. I tried to make it a little laid back like in the original song but no matter what I tried, nothing sound right so I just said "screw it" and made the hihats less loud.

For that bridge part that I got inspiration from "I Want You Back", I just used the same hit pattern as "Lucky" by Britney down to that one sine wave that goes up since it's a nice little detail.

The demo's more of a proof of concept than anything though. I saw someone say somewhere on this forum something along the line of "strong melodies don't change, only the style of it does" (HEAVY paraphrasing) and I knew it worked somewhat okay for other songs since I tried it before. I wanted to see if it'd work with the Cheiron style though and if I could do it myself as a challenge (I don't have a lot of experience with music and while the pandemic's given me a lot of time to try and experiment with it, I'm still nowhere near I want to be).

Also, since I only have the FL studio demo, and I live near Long Island in the US, even if I save my progress on it now I won't be able to work on it since it isn't possible to open demo projects in the FL studio demo, and I can't leave my PC on longer since I'm about to get hit by Hurricane Henri so that's """""fun""""". I do have multitracks saved incase I want to come back to it though.

nznexus

it sounds good but i think you need more reverb on the snare and clap.

the guitars sounds good.. but the mix needs more stereo
music producer nexus is running a channel called the ellie goulding resource. only the best ellie goulding news, photos, interviews, photoshoots.