• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

New song "Salamander" electronic - pop dance

Started by NeutronSynergy, April 01, 2015, 01:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeutronSynergy

alis grave nil

B Steady

love the 15 seconds of silence at the beginning, do you think this might become a new trend? :D

funny thing is: when the beat comes in, it reminds me of the beginning of Michael Jackson's Thriller (which has also 15 seconds of musical silence at the beginning haha)

some parts of your instrumental are off beat, e.g. strings at 1:00

you're obviously creative but your instrumental lacks structure and a good mix
Vila i frid Dag

NeutronSynergy

Quote from: B Steady on April 01, 2015, 05:15:51 PM
love the 15 seconds of silence at the beginning, do you think this might become a new trend? :D

Now would that be something (yes please) but why not?  the whole "loudness wars" have only one medicine , it could
be something like silence is golden eg.

funny thing is: when the beat comes in, it reminds me of the beginning of Michael Jackson's Thriller (which has also 15 seconds of musical silence at the beginning haha)

Funny indeed, Anything from the thriller - era would be welcome,(like 110 million physical record sales) this production clearly is on bar in relative terms hoho  8)

some parts of your instrumental are off beat, e.g. strings at 1:00

there has to be something where to grab on vs complete silence .

you're obviously creative but your instrumental lacks structure and a good mix

Simply not true - this is a good mix - though a headphone mix.

lacks structure

The structure is one of the strongest points of the song, so depending what you mean of course..
alis grave nil

Adam B

You should be glad people listen to your stuff and give their opinion! Being told your music sucks is actually a good thing.

If the mix is good why post two versions?  ;)

B Steady

Quote from: Adam B on April 02, 2015, 12:50:56 PM
You should be glad people listen to your stuff and give their opinion! Being told your music sucks is actually a good thing.

haha yeah, I better take everything back I said. didn't know I was so wrong!!!
Vila i frid Dag

Dr. Fleischman

You better start using a grid in your DAW.
The music you posted sounds more like a soundtrack to a movie or a game, not a song at all. Maybe this is a direction for you to go?

B Steady

Quote from: Dr. Fleischman on April 02, 2015, 10:40:25 PM
You better start using a grid in your DAW.
The music you posted sounds more like a soundtrack to a movie or a game, not a song at all. Maybe this is a direction for you to go?

pleeease, this is a perfect pop song and everything is on the grid!
Vila i frid Dag

Adam B

Any critique is good critique cuz it gives you the chance to reflect on how people get your productions, what to work on etc

I would think a forum with pop nerds is one of the best places to get opinions that really matter if you want to make music for the GP.

NeutronSynergy

Thanks for listening and commenting.

Maybe this is a direction for you to go.
the ability to do all kinds of sound is a +

The music you posted sounds more like a soundtrack to a movie or a game,
Appreciating this..

not a song at all

..because on the contrary that kind of observation underlines exactly how this song works alone without vocals.
the impression of a soundtrack magnifies that , there are even multiple melodies to grab on ready for the singer to carry on.

if you imagine Abba's SOS or Jacksons "They dont" care about us or "Jam" without vocals. you'll see how much (seemingly: as our brains absorbs fairly simplified melodies yet  smashed but complex sound) certain minimalism on the mix (in the arrangement too) and the dynamics can play in a role of an strong structure forming a "perfect" pop song .

in reverse :  If you listen  - Britneys spears song "work" . without vocals, you are completely loss.
Has been a trend for a while.

I had couple pre-written vocal parts for this song ready even before the decision to switch some horns / brass
parts to accommodate leads on an form of a piano and strong bass.

I have to conclude that this is indeed very much a song in a modern pop sense.

alis grave nil

NeutronSynergy

You should be glad people listen to your stuff and give their opinion!

Very glad about it  - your attention too, what makes you think otherwise?

Being told your music sucks is actually a good thing.

Your'e welcome to express that view too.

But..that s bit tricky one since if you for example say that all 2-unlimited music sucks, then one would only have to conclude that it is only a matter of taste..as it mostly is.

But if you say that all Dr.Lukes music is over produced , or 2 unlimited song "tribal dance" have a bad mix, then you would probably face totally opposite facts. or another example would be -  if you say that quantization - daw automation - sample based pitch tuning or loops are a bad habit taken out from the session musicians pocket...then same thing will happen - simply not true.

On a same fashion - this song doesn't lack a good mix - or structure. it's peak levels are about ready to go for a master despite of its massive dynamic content.

If the mix is good why post two versions?  ;)

To get opinions etc , of course.  as this is a demo forum - right?

alis grave nil

NeutronSynergy

Quote from: Adam B on April 03, 2015, 02:41:30 AM
Any critique is good critique cuz it gives you the chance to reflect on how people get your productions, what to work on etc

I would think a forum with pop nerds is one of the best places to get opinions that really matter if you want to make music for the GP.

Precisely.
alis grave nil

NeutronSynergy

Quote from: B Steady on April 02, 2015, 11:02:35 PM
pleeease, this is a perfect pop song and everything is on the grid!

To stay on the grid - huh?

Obviously some idea of how major labels works on a big money production rounds with multiple sessions (with multiple studio facilities)
with countless demos - beta and alpha versions (and still not possibly getting it right before mastering house)...gives you the possibility to actually release something which is a bit raw and unpolished. you dig?

and im not  sure how much sense is to release something completely free (before gold) specially on demo forums. to keep it fun.  8)

The idea is the opposite.
alis grave nil

Adam B

Quote from: NeutronSynergy on April 03, 2015, 03:13:14 AM
To stay on the grid - huh?

Obviously some idea of how major labels works on a big money production rounds with multiple sessions (with multiple studio facilities)
with countless demos - beta and alpha versions (and still not possibly getting it right before mastering house)...gives you the possibility to actually release something which is a bit raw and unpolished. you dig?

and im not  sure how much sense is to release something completely free (before gold) specially on demo forums. to keep it fun.  8)

The idea is the opposite.

What you have to understand is that the guys that make a living on music sits on their laptops with the same plugs as you and pumps out great sounding tracks. You don't.

Quote from: NeutronSynergy on April 03, 2015, 02:50:28 AM
Very glad about it  - your attention too, what makes you think otherwise?

Your'e welcome to express that view too.

But..that s bit tricky one since if you for example say that all 2-unlimited music sucks, then one would only have to conclude that it is only a matter of taste..as it mostly is.

But if you say that all Dr.Lukes music is over produced , or 2 unlimited song "tribal dance" have a bad mix, then you would probably face totally opposite facts. or another example would be -  if you say that quantization - daw automation - sample based pitch tuning or loops are a bad habit taken out from the session musicians pocket...then same thing will happen - simply not true.

On a same fashion - this song doesn't lack a good mix - or structure. it's peak levels are about ready to go for a master despite of its massive dynamic content.

To get opinions etc , of course.  as this is a demo forum - right?

This is not a demo forum, this is a Max Martin forum.
Personally I dont want to see this forum turn into yet another forum with people posting their tracks (and noone listening). Maybe this posting of self made music should be adressed somehow..?

I tried to avoid commenting on your track but since you brought it up and somehow think its radio ready. It's not. It completely lacks depth, every sound hits you right in the face, there's no compression, no sensible use of reverb and the mix is way off.. And that's just the technical sides of it. I'll stay away from the musical sides for now..

Leaving your track my point was that I thought you were very condescending to someone who just had taken the time to listen to your music. That's just all i wanted to say really.

Adam B

Here's another crap song I heard on some other forum https://soundcloud.com/jcoke-1/echos-from-the-past

Is your crap song better or worse than this crap? Why?

Face it  there's millions of crap songs like this on soundcloud. If that's what you wanna make fine by me, but if you want to make music that people actually want to listen to (and maybe pay for listening to) you have a lot to learn..

NeutronSynergy

Quote from: Adam B on April 03, 2015, 03:53:21 AM
What you have to understand is that the guys that make a living on music sits on their laptops with the same plugs as you and pumps out great sounding tracks. You don't.

Now that you mentioned. this is not just a good mix - this is a pretty good song too , I wouldn't post if otherwise 8)

I thank for your opinion and time - however based on those claims you clearly don't have a realistic view about what is actually put on every song (99%) you hear on a radio and it's just waaaaaaay more than a guy with a laptop. plugins just isn't enough and then of course
you need an actual team of musicians and professionals to make the magic happen - sitting
in front of an laptop is mostly just an small part of all of the efforts what it takes for most of the material that we hear on the radio to be finished.

This is not a demo forum, this is a Max Martin forum.

"Talk about all the technical stuff concerning music production, instruments and (your) studio equipment here! Feel free to post your demos and find collaborations."

Says the title. they who actually are interested about the "cheiron effect" , knows that the only way to achieve it is to do it and share it.

Personally I don't want to see this forum turn into yet another forum with people posting their tracks (and noone listening). Maybe this posting of self made music should be adressed somehow..?

Obviously..you are in the wrong place then and the forum code of conduct applies to you as well.

I tried to avoid commenting on your track but since you brought it up and ..
somehow think its radio ready.

Did I said that ? No - among other few technical details - first it would have to be mastered and even before that it should be properly finished.

It's not. It completely lacks depth, every sound hits you right in the face, there's no compression, no sensible use of reverb and the mix is way off.. And that's just the technical sides of it.

Not dismissing your taste of music here but -  Your lack of knowledge is obvious (either that or you have some personal problem)- since all the arguments you say are simply not true regarding about the use of reverb, compression and about the mix. (and there is plenty of depth) it can be easily identified just by listening the song.

I'll stay away from the musical sides for now..

But that's probably because that's all the musical / technical side you got . It's obvious - since all the arguments
you say are simply not true regarding about the use of reverb, compression and about the mix. this can be easily identified just by listening the song.

Leaving your track my point was that I thought you were very condescending to someone who just had taken the time to listen to your music. That's just all i wanted to say really.

Your point is - clearly missing however , there is nothing here (by me) giving an opposite indication, this is just normal conversation about the song - exactly as proposed by yourself .
alis grave nil