• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Mixed by Serban Ghenea

Started by j.fco.morales, April 21, 2016, 08:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j.fco.morales

http://www.popjustice.com/playlists/mixed-by-serban-ghenea/

Popjustice did a playlist with songs mixed by Serban.
Interesting one.

J_A24

Nice find, thanks. By the way, did you guys read what wikipedia had to say about deleting Serban's page? It's rage inducing lol.

j.fco.morales

Quote from: J_A24 on April 22, 2016, 09:03:45 PM
Nice find, thanks. By the way, did you guys read what wikipedia had to say about deleting Serban's page? It's rage inducing lol.

I haven't, tell us!

J_A24

Quote"Several albums that he has worked on have won Grammys but from my reading of WP:NMUSIC this doesn't confer notability on the audio engineer"

"'Mixer' is far further down the food chain of a finished musical track, and in terms of the avril lavignes and lifehouses of the world, may be a very insignificant role not worthy of praise."

"I can understand if someone like Kevin Bacon has such a list detailing their entire career, but he's in a different league to subject, to such a degree that his filmography IS considered encyclopaedic."

"Comment: I would take out three things for starters – (1) the reference to the management company, which has no relevance to the article and is pure promotion (this definitely has to go); (2) all the references to various Billboard charts, as the chart positions of the records aren't relevant either, and don't prove one way or the other that Ghenea worked on those records (although I do not doubt that he did); (3) the Grammy Awards, because I think those go to the artist and not to the engineer/mixer of the record? So I'm not sure what is left after that that would make the article a keep. Richard3120 (talk) 22:02, 2 November 2015 (UTC)"

"My view, as the editor who has had severe issues with this article over an extended period is: DELETE. Some of the projects/music he worked on may be notable, but I'm not entirely sure what he does in his capacity as a 'mixer' (it seems to me to be one of those vague industry terms that doesn't particularly describe the extent of the person's involvement). It raises concerns about where the line is drawn.....studio hands who predominantly make tea and get a thanks on the sleeve?"

Basically "I dont know what a mixing engineer is, so I deleted his page".

And they have a bunch of misplaced credits on songs, so why don't they just delete everyone to be safe. lol

j.fco.morales

B Steady

Vila i frid Dag

j.fco.morales

Found this on Gearslutz, it's a Q&A with John Hanes, who once was Serban's assistant engineer and a great mixer in his own:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-a-with-engineer-john-hanes/

About his mixing, I think it's about what the artists/producers want. Because like John said on the Q&A, you can hire anyone you want but YOU CHOOSE Serban.

Helluvafella

Quote from: getawaydriver on March 24, 2021, 01:23:21 AM
Is it just me or have Serban's mixes been kind of off lately? His levels are usually superb, but I've noticed a lot of distortion in his recent output and he adds that same piercing, ear-splitting high-shelf to every lead vocal. The Ava Max mixes in particular are so overblown, "Kings & Queens" is distorting all over the place. His mixes from the early '10s are so much tighter and the vocal sound he was doing around that time was literal perfection; those classic crunchy, popping consonants and the way the vocals sit so perfectly in the mix, everything sounds so clean. I don't know, I understand he's pretty much the biggest mixer in the world right now and he probably has to do an absurd amount of mixes with very little time so that might have something to do with it. Could also be the sound producers want has just changed. But overall, his mixes just feel a lot more "loose", if that makes sense.

Funnily enough, I've actually been enjoying his son Alex's mixes a bit more than his own lately. Looks like he's following in Serban's footsteps! https://www.instagram.com/alexghenea/?hl=en

Holy shit, I didn't know his son was a hot shot mixing engineer too 😁

Well, I can definitely hear what you're taking about. The mixes ten years ago sound less hyped than the mixes now. I think he uses more saturation nowadays to make the mixes pop and sometimes it's just too much.

Nevertheless, his mixes are spot on 99% of the time.

Dagge

Quote from: Helluvafella on July 04, 2021, 02:37:58 PM
Holy shit, I didn't know his son was a hot shot mixing engineer too 😁

Well, I can definitely hear what you're taking about. The mixes ten years ago sound less hyped than the mixes now. I think he uses more saturation nowadays to make the mixes pop and sometimes it's just too much.

Nevertheless, his mixes are spot on 99% of the time.

By being from 'his' part of the World (SE Europe) I can confirm that Romanians have above average sense of musicality. I don't know if it is old Roman gene influence or else but there are quite a few composers and producers from there with very nice melodies and rich arrangements, even done by not famous ones. Most famous of them may be Michael Cretu of Sandra and Enigma projects. I am quite sure that Serban in a way inherited those qualities, and added western musical education on top. That may be his edge.

It would be interesting to hear the result of Romanian and Swedish composers/producers collaboration. I am quite sure it would be pleasant to the ear.

Helluvafella

It's very interesting how many songs from Romania have become international smash hits. Dragostea Din Tei, Mr. Saxobeat, Stereo Love, Sun is up .. there must be something in the water :)

AlexanderLaBrea

4 hit songs in like 10-15 years? :) Isn't it more interesting that 4 of the biggest female pop stars in later years are of Albanian descent? Rita Ora, Dua Lipa, Ava Max, Bebe Rexha. Or that like at least 8 of the biggest DJ's in the world are from the Netherlands.

Helluvafella

Quote from: AlexanderLaBrea on July 05, 2021, 05:28:13 PM
4 hit songs in like 10-15 years? :) Isn't it more interesting that 4 of the biggest female pop stars in later years are of Albanian descent? Rita Ora, Dua Lipa, Ava Max, Bebe Rexha. Or that like at least 8 of the biggest DJ's in the world are from the Netherlands.

This is indeed like an eastern Europeans invasion 😂 how do you explain that Alexander?

j.fco.morales

I mean, explanation? 4 people in the world.

And call that a trend? Nah.

Helluvafella

Quote from: j.fco.morales on July 05, 2021, 08:11:56 PM
I mean, explanation? 4 people in the world.

And call that a trend? Nah.

I think it's pretty extraordinary considering the success of those singers.

Helluvafella

Quote from: getawaydriver on July 05, 2021, 11:41:35 PM
Yeah, judging by what his engineer John Hanes has said, I think it's mainly his mix bus he runs all his mixes through. Makes everything really bright and dense sounding, which works for a lot of mixes, but makes others sound really harsh. I don't think he's paying as much attention to distortion and clarity these days as he used to... it's all about ultra-bright and ultra-loud mixes right now, which, if done right, can still have those qualities and sound great. But sometimes can come off as sounding really grating and jarring.

Nevertheless I still use his mixes as reference.  I like how he always nails the vocals and the drums are  always sound super punchy with nice transients.