• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Rami new song for Nicki Minaj - Starships (album tracks by Max Martin)

Started by turnaround, January 29, 2012, 08:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnaround

And I liked it..

georg_e

Such a great melody/title/lyrics, this demo how strong the basic song is! :-)

Rebecca

Joshua

I like this version just as much. Even if Nicki's verses are more interesting, it's the chorus that counts with this song, and I think it works just as well here.

B Steady

It's so amazing to read how you guys are discussing about the credits or the like!!! I've been searching for people like you to talk about exactly these things! I'm so happy I found this forum!! :)
Vila i frid Dag

Elias

Carl Falk talked about this song on the Swedish STIM-expo last year and it was intentionally written for a band called "Cobra Starship" but they didn't want it ( i guess they regret that now:P)
And the guy singing in the demo is actually Wayne Hector who wrote it together with Carl and Rami, not mohombi as the youtube-link says.

Somehow Redone became involved, but i don't think he did much more than getting Nicki Minaj to sing it (she wrote the verses herself) even though he has production and writer credit. But i'm not entirely sure.

I've also heard that there has been problems with the writers-split on it, and if that's the case they won't get any money for it until they've settled on a split   :-\

Axel

Interesting.

Where do you guys "hear" such stuff? I'm amazed. :)

Elias

Quote from: Axel on April 09, 2013, 09:56:54 AM
Interesting.

Where do you guys "hear" such stuff? I'm amazed. :)

There was a bug in the STIM registraion-system a while back where every publishing-company in sweden could se the split or every song in the system.  :P

turnaround

Interesting! Btw, does the order of the writers in a song always reflect the share of the writers? So first named did most?

And how do producer earn money when they are not involved in the songwriting? Do they get a fixed amount per song?

Wayne Hector has a great voice, like lost of the stuff he did.
And I liked it..

Elias

Quote from: turnaround on April 09, 2013, 08:23:45 PM
Interesting! Btw, does the order of the writers in a song always reflect the share of the writers? So first named did most?

And how do producer earn money when they are not involved in the songwriting? Do they get a fixed amount per song?

Wayne Hector has a great voice, like lost of the stuff he did.

I'm not entirely sure, but i don't think so. Maybe on ascap, if the names aren't in alphabetical order.
As i have understood, it's kind of an unwritten rule to split equally between the basic cowrite members in the room. But when big artists with big egos gets involved the splits gets complicated.

It used to be mostly common that the producer get a one-time-fee for the production (the tracks) but nowadays i think many producer gets royalties also. :)

Yes, Wayne Hector is great! :D

Joshua

I think traditionally writing credits were ordered by contribution, and to some degree I believe they still are. But I think there can be a bit of "put the biggest writers first". Like, for example, Luke getting the first writing credit on One Direction's "Rock Me", when he wasn't even involved in the writing process. It was all down to his creation of the beat which became an important ingredient to the feel of the track. Enough to pull in lead writing credit though?

I remember hearing John Mayer say (joking or not I'm not sure) that he had writing credits on songs he didn't work on. The same is supposedly true for the Backstreet Boys ("Time" is credited to some of the guys when it apparently shouldn't have been).

But I've definitely seen credits showing main writers first, and additional contributors following.

turnaround

Interesting cover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ar7brs0qOG8

Lindsey and Megan do 'Starships'

What is this?
It's a cover of 'Starships', the Nicki Minaj tune.
No seriously what is this.
ONLY THE GREATEST MISSED OPPORTUNITY OF A B*WITCHED SINGLE OF ALL TIME.

Source: http://www.popjustice.com/briefing/pjqa-lindsey-and-megan-do-starships/115389/#ixzz2V9DzcybF
And I liked it..

Joshua

Well that was really cool, more fun than the original too. Lindsey & Megan could just be the next Megan & Liz! :D

B Steady

how is this cover interesting? it's the original in bad in my book. Therefore I don't get the following comment on youtube: thanks for making this song listenable. ???
Vila i frid Dag

Joshua

Quote from: B Steady on June 03, 2013, 05:29:54 PM
how is this cover interesting? it's the original in bad in my book. Therefore I don't get the following comment on youtube: thanks for making this song listenable. ???

Well it's nowhere near as polished as Nicki's, but for a YouTube cover it's done really well. What I like about it most is the light pop approach, even the replacement of the synth instrumental part with the violins (very B*Witched like Pop Justice mentioned) . That comment on YouTube is obviously from someone who doesn't like Nicki, or her style of rap. I personally prefer the less in your face vocal from the cover too, and overall they've put a lot of effort into the video which I also enjoyed more than seeing Nicki with wigs on standing in the ocean.