• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Halsey — So Good (Max Martin)

Started by bugmenot, May 29, 2022, 08:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dagge

Quote from: j.fco.morales on June 10, 2022, 03:19:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObUvyMtiP34

So Good is out.

Written By Sammy Witte, Sarah Aarons & Halsey.
Produced By Tobias Karlsson & Max Martin.
Mixing Engineer: Șerban Ghenea

Don't want to sound disrespectful but for the last 10 years or so, it's when you hear one you hear them all. It's all on autopilot, structure, arr, melody, even video clips. This industry is becoming mundane. Max is still the melody king but overall impression is not exciting. No creativity, no surprisingly good parts, no stellar melody outside the famous Cheiron scheme... I still love this industry and guys but something is missing and looks like nobody cares. Or all the good songs are spent already,

melodicmoonlight

Quote from: Dagge on June 11, 2022, 04:46:45 PM
Don't want to sound disrespectful but for the last 10 years or so, it's when you hear one you hear them all. It's all on autopilot, structure, arr, melody, even video clips. This industry is becoming mundane. Max is still the melody king but overall impression is not exciting. No creativity, no surprisingly good parts, no stellar melody outside the famous Cheiron scheme... I still love this industry and guys but something is missing and looks like nobody cares. Or all the good songs are spent already,

Or maybe the right artist hasn't come along.

As talented as Max is I wonder how instrumental singers like, say, Taylor Swift were in elevating their MM-produced songs. I think he's at his strongest when he partners with equally creative singers who have a specific vision and intention with their music. I'm not saying Halsey isn't up to the task. She has some great top tier pop tunes (and hits) in her discography. But not just any artist can recruit Max to work for them and automatically guarantee a stellar track with surprisingly good parts, creativity, etc. This Halsey song seems more like a one-off that the label demanded to tighten up a track she brought to them to make more commercial. She just came out of a very experimental left-of-center album and is pivoting back to a Top 40 sound. Maybe she's more ambivalent about it?

I will say the chorus melody is simple but very effective, enjoyable, ear-wormy and sweet. I love it. It reminds me of T. Swift mixed with some Avril from 2011. I also like the reversed order of the longer pre-chorus coming before the second chorus instead of the first. Usually by the second pre-chorus it's shortened in order to "get to" the chorus faster. Idk if that was Max's choice but I found that to be unique in terms of structure. (If you watch the music video for So Good, you'll notice how they edited the song to make both pre-choruses the same longer length with the extra verse.) 

bugmenot

Halsey writes lyrics, she doesn't write music.
She said it in one interview during the Manic era.

The same applies to Lana Del Rey. She doesn't write music, too, only texts. In was in the interview of the previous guy who wrote all her albums prior Antonoff.

j.fco.morales

It's not only text: is melody and lyrics. And that is music.

I don't know if any of you had the chance to watch the Mariah Carey's masterclass but she SANG EVERY PART of a string arrangement. Same with Michael Jackson back in the day and it's basically the same thing a lot of creative people do with their collaborators.

I find it a bit reductive, specially if they're women.

nanofives

Quote from: melodicmoonlight on June 12, 2022, 03:19:36 AM
I will say the chorus melody is simple but very effective, enjoyable, ear-wormy and sweet. I love it. It reminds me of T. Swift mixed with some Avril from 2011.

After you said this I realized the hihats/snare at the beginning of the chorus it's mostly the same as Avril's What The Hell, it's also similar the way they're arranged.