• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

One Direction - New album "Midnight Memories"

Started by turnaround, September 06, 2013, 05:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raul_esp

Quote from: turnaround on November 20, 2013, 03:40:30 PM
Diana is so good. I like the verses a lot. They sound so different. So simple.

And the chorus is explosive. Pure bubble-gum pop. More of these please.

Yes , I forgot this one , I liked it too and the first single that is a grower.

Matteo87

Yes, Diana is so coool, bubble-pop drug! One of their best songs for me...I'm totally addicted
It's so Rami-sh

"I didn't even know what a producer did, I spent two years day and night in that studio trying to learn what the hell was going on." - Max Martin

J_A24

Best Song Ever and the latest single have definitely grown on me. Songwriting and production wise it's still up to par with Rami and Falk even if it sounds more stripped down and less melody driven sometimes.

This album has more lyrical content, I feel.

What I love the most about One Direction's music is how the production captures a musical influence perfectly. On "Best Song Ever" you could some 90's grunge rock elements, on "Diana" you can hear the 80's influence. In their earlier songs you could hear the Cheiron influence perfectly coupled with some 60's rock influences. You can even hear some Queen influences in some of their songs.

It's very well executed. It's pure pop music.

turnaround

One Direction, Associated Performer, Main Artist, Associated Performer - Savan Kotecha, Composer, Lyricist, Recording Engineer - Carl Falk, Acoustic Guitar, Composer, Electric Guitar, Lyricist, Other, Producer, Programmer - Chris Patrick, Bass Guitar - Harry Styles, Composer, Lyricist - Ilya Toshinsky, Banjo, Mandolin - Kristian Lundin, Editor, Producer, Recording Engineer - Alex Oriet, Engineer - Ben "Bengineer" Chang, Engineer - Serban Ghenea, Mixing Engineer - John Hanes, Engineer - Tom Coyne, Mastering Engineer
And I liked it..

bugmenot

turnaround

Yes, quite interesting. I think you have to be very good to please the producer recording the instruments. And when the recording engineer and producer is Kristian Lundin I guess you have to be REALLY REALLY good.
And I liked it..

Voodoo

Quote from: J_A24 on November 22, 2013, 04:02:43 AM
What I love the most about One Direction's music is how the production captures a musical influence perfectly. On "Best Song Ever" you could some 90's grunge rock elements...
Honestly... I have to slightly disagree here. Although most of our favorite NEW writers use some sort of starting point as an influence, it seams like the one direction stuff is more blatantly ripped off. Which is more GIMICKY in my opinion. Take for example, BEST SONG EVER, which is a blatant ripp off of the Whos's Baba o'riley. Or their other song that started out just like We will rocke you by Queen (One directions song: Rock me). Or... Live While we're young which is basically a sped up version of The Clash's "Should I stay or Should I Go." I mean, dont get me wrong, these are good songs and everyone "borrows" influences (EVERYONE!)... but sometimes its a little too over the top. Especially for how damn talented their songwriting and producing teams are.

Just my two cents.

j.fco.morales

Quote from: Voodoo on November 24, 2013, 03:27:03 AM
Honestly... I have to slightly disagree here. Although most of our favorite NEW writers use some sort of starting point as an influence, it seams like the one direction stuff is more blatantly ripped off. Which is more GIMICKY in my opinion. Take for example, BEST SONG EVER, which is a blatant ripp off of the Whos's Baba o'riley. Or their other song that started out just like We will rocke you by Queen (One directions song: Rock me). Or... Live While we're young which is basically a sped up version of The Clash's "Should I stay or Should I Go." I mean, dont get me wrong, these are good songs and everyone "borrows" influences (EVERYONE!)... but sometimes its a little too over the top. Especially for how damn talented their songwriting and producing teams are.

Just my two cents.

Absolutely agree with you.
I read a review on a local newspaper and they said this album was like, The Beatles.
The Beatles did some really pop-formula driven albums to increase their fanbase and ended up doing their stuff after that.

I was expecting other kind of stuff -I haven't listened the album in full- but to me, seems like some of the songs in the album could be placed on indie records easily: Little Black Dress is a perfect example.

Definitely not what I expected.

J_A24

Quote from: Voodoo on November 24, 2013, 03:27:03 AM

Just my two cents.

I do agree with you that it's "gimicky", but I don't think it has anything to do with the level of talent of their producers/writers. Look at the demographic of their fan base, the answer is there. One Direction's music is supposed to be straight to the point, so the references to past legendary songs reflect that.

I still think that even though it's blatantly ripped of, it's pretty well executed and it doesn't sound like shit. God knows how many times songs have been ripped off and it sounds like crap. My point was more regarding the execution rather than the originality and creativity that derives from it.

turnaround

Still interested if Falk/Kotecha/Rami didn't have any more songs for that release or if they got rejected.

I had some listens through that album and I'm quite indifferent about it. It's ok, it's pure pop with a rocky edge here and then - but so far there is no other song aside "Story of my life" and "Diana" which I really feel.

Even "Happily" is quite soulless. Uninspired pre-chorus, only saved by the chorus.

I need a few more listens as I can't recall all songs as they are very samey - but that's not a surprise for an 1D album.

And I liked it..

Khan9898

I think it may have been a combination of 1D moving away from Rami-Carl-Savan, the 3 of them burned out by writing for them, and having songs rejected.

turnaround

Makes sense!

But what is next? These guys have such a creative output, this has to go somewhere and needs to be heard.

:-[

In other news: "Through the dark" is definitely worth a listen too.
And I liked it..

turnaround

Next single is "Midnight Memories"

Maybe we get a B-Side?

And I liked it..