• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Vulgarities?

Started by gm33, August 24, 2012, 09:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gm33

I'm not really a prude, I'm pretty liberal, so I'm okay with hearing obscenities (even though I don't use them in my conversations, I find them to be crass and unnecessary in some cases), but what's with all the vulgarities recently from Max and co.?

It's especially annoying here in the USA since everything is censored on the radio so there's always an awkward silence edit.

Recent examples:

• Christina Aguliera F*** Your Body: ("All I wanna do is f*** your body)
  • Maroon 5  Payphone:  ("full of s***) ("one more f****n love song")   (" man f*** that s***)
  • Avril Smile ("give a s****") ("f*** rock and roll")
  • Pink F*** perfect  (the edited version is so much better)

Even non Max songs like:
  • Pinks'  Blow Me One Last Kiss:  ("I've had a s*** day...you had a s*** day, we've had a s*** day) (especially annoying to hear on the radio edited out -- ruins the song)

Again, I'm ok with this, but would prefer they record a clean version of them, like they did with Perfect, so we don't have to endure an annoying pause on the radio. And makes them sing-able at work or wherever without people looking at you funny.

I can't recall this every happening during the Cherion and early-Maratone era.

Thoughts?

-----------------------------------------------------------
"I was writing with Max Martin and Johan Shellback who are two of my absolute songwriting heroes, they are just absolute melodic geniuses." - Taylor Alison Swift,  August 2012

Alex Martin

Totally agree with you at 100%...

Rebecca

Agree with you, obscenities are unnecessary. I don't know why so many are used today by Max & Co, perhaps to get attention?

My biggest problem is the censoring on radio and mtv. Sometimes it's just over the top. With Britney's "3", they had to change it to "living in this" from "living in sin", I mean "living in this" doesn't even make sense!

Raul_esp

Yes , I agree , these words are unnecessary , the most important is the music.

Joshua

Completely agree. Max & Shellback really try to go for anything that will grab the listeners attention, lots of clever phrases and themes. Over time they've pushed harder and harder to keep the shock value happening, and this is one of the results. I believe it will probably end up being common place on the radio to the degree where songs aren't even censored, say in a decade. Hopefully though the trend to feature expletives so much will die out instead.

I am totally for replacement words (provided they make sense) over horrible muted vocals, especially in choruses. A one off in a verse isn't so bad. The one that annoys me most at the moment is "How We Do" by Rita Ora ("party and bull-, party and bull-" sounds ridiculous). Then again, how stupid was the censored "If You Seek Amy"?!? ("If You SEE Amy")! :o

Feelgoodlies

I don't listen to radio since I have the song on my iPod.

As for the explicit lyrics, I guess I'm OK with it, Max does it to make the song reach to a wider range of people including teenagers and that's understandable to be honest.

I guess I really like  how sometimes our favourite producers censor words with studio tricks like for example Kesha's "Rich Dude's House" "no we're not on the list, no we dont give a shit" I like what they did to the word... it's better than radio edits!

gm33

I'm so glad "Love Your Body" was changed to Love from F***. It's such a great song and I wasn't looking forward to all the awkward censoring on the radio!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"I was writing with Max Martin and Johan Shellback who are two of my absolute songwriting heroes, they are just absolute melodic geniuses." - Taylor Alison Swift,  August 2012