• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

StringWheel pad?

Started by crushroller, February 02, 2014, 04:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snipes3000

Quote from: j.fco.morales on August 21, 2020, 03:21:40 AM
Try with the Roland XV5050 vst.

Or try SRX Keyboards, category strings, preset M12 or Matrix12.
Hi, I'm Luke and I'm sitting on my throne! Oh, and have you noticed that Denniz PoP songs are extremely hooky?

Tano87

Guys I'm mostly looking for VSTs/samples.

Snipes3000

Both SRX Keyboards and Roland XV5080 are VSTs from Roland Cloud. But SRX Keyboards has the preset based on matrix 12. G-Force VSM also has Oberheim Xpander Strings, which is the same as the Matrix 12 strings. Korg Wavestation (VST) has pads in a similar fashion as well. And the string presets on Arturia Matrix 12 V2. And ProteusVX2 under Vintage Keys preset C3/M12 ESI.
Hi, I'm Luke and I'm sitting on my throne! Oh, and have you noticed that Denniz PoP songs are extremely hooky?

j.fco.morales

Quote from: Snipes3000 on September 17, 2020, 10:06:39 AM
Both SRX Keyboards and Roland XV5080 are VSTs from Roland Cloud. But SRX Keyboards has the preset based on matrix 12. G-Force VSM also has Oberheim Xpander Strings, which is the same as the Matrix 12 strings. Korg Wavestation (VST) has pads in a similar fashion as well. And the string presets on Arturia Matrix 12 V2. And ProteusVX2 under Vintage Keys preset C3/M12 ESI.

And all of those are VST plugins... so  ;D

Dagge

I understand those requests for particular sound but privately as a person that have been involved in the rec. industry I have listened to many stems/multitracks of famous hit songs during time and to be honest there was not a single sound appealing to me when listened solo. I remember being quite disappointed at that time. It's all in the combination of sounds and arrangements.

So you can easily substitute sound with similar from another module from the same class and it will sound almost the same.

j.fco.morales

Quote from: Dagge on December 13, 2020, 08:09:07 PM
I understand those requests for particular sound but privately as a person that have been involved in the rec. industry I have listened to many stems/multitracks of famous hit songs during time and to be honest there was not a single sound appealing to me when listened solo. I remember being quite disappointed at that time. It's all in the combination of sounds and arrangements.

So you can easily substitute sound with similar from another module from the same class and it will sound almost the same.

Yep! When I listened to multitracks or stems of the songs I love I get the same feeling.

Hitmakers75

Is the String Wheel preset you're talking about the one used in the intro of Never Gonna Say I'm Sorry ?
I can't listen to the samples in the thread, they're offline.

I'm really looking for this Cheiron trademark preset synth.
I've tried every preset in the JV1080 (hardware and vst version) and the SRX vst series with no luck.

It could be the E-Mu Vintage Keys. It fits the release date of this euro house hit of 1993, with the same pad in the intro :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5GmxCA9kds

Tano87

Quote from: Hitmakers75 on January 19, 2021, 03:51:02 PM
Is the String Wheel preset you're talking about the one used in the intro of Never Gonna Say I'm Sorry ?

I've tried every preset in the JV1080 (hardware and vst version) and the SRX vst series with no luck.

It could be the E-Mu Vintage Keys. It fits the release date of this euro house hit of 1993, with the same pad in the intro :

This is exactly the same Vintage Keys sound included on Britney Spears multitracks for the song 3, by Max Martin.

DennizPoP

You are right about the patch used in Never Gonna Say I'm Sorry.
In fact, it's used throughout the song but more noticeable during the intro, bridge and outro.

In the past couple of years I've been working with Ace of Base and Playground Music on new versions of their songs, some of them already published.
On one particular remix of this very same song I replicated the pad synth in NI Massive. I will look around my files if I still have it!

In the meantime you can hear how it sounds here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t19bf8azjnuhrky/ngsis%20nov%207.wav?dl=0

And this is an example of how it sounds in a fuller mix:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ef3qox3jmfn8j8l/ngsis-tb-remixed-v2.mp3?dl=0

(These are parts of an unreleased mix I was working on during 2017)

Cheers,
Rod

cout7

With greatest respect to Rod (he is incredibly talented!) for the previous message and for showing the way, here is a way to have this preset:

This sound can be found on E-MU Keys Emulator X. Here is a great tutorial for achieving successful installation for E-MU Emulator X and obtaining the necessary libraries:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqGjOjc4S5g&ab_channel=YanAnselmo

We need to get the following:
E-Mu Emulator X (the setup is available on the YouTube Video Desc.
E-Mu Experience (this allows us to have the necessary directory structure)
Vintage Keys Sound Bank

All these three is explained in detail on the YouTube link

But to obtain the sound, after following each step, you have to choose apo: CP70/M12. This preset has both Yamaha Acoustic Piano (hence the apo name) and the Matrix Strings. At this point go to "Voices and Zones" section of apo:CP70/M12.

Choose Matrix String C4 as solo and mute all other instruments

Then apply a low pass filter to this (as an example I applied FL Studio Love Filter - Low Pass 2 preset)

Hope this helps.

j.fco.morales

Quote from: DennizPoP on May 05, 2021, 10:32:29 PM
You are right about the patch used in Never Gonna Say I'm Sorry.
In fact, it's used throughout the song but more noticeable during the intro, bridge and outro.

In the past couple of years I've been working with Ace of Base and Playground Music on new versions of their songs, some of them already published.
On one particular remix of this very same song I replicated the pad synth in NI Massive. I will look around my files if I still have it!

In the meantime you can hear how it sounds here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t19bf8azjnuhrky/ngsis%20nov%207.wav?dl=0

And this is an example of how it sounds in a fuller mix:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ef3qox3jmfn8j8l/ngsis-tb-remixed-v2.mp3?dl=0

(These are parts of an unreleased mix I was working on during 2017)

Cheers,
Rod

Amazing work Rod!

Dagge

Surprisingly enough, there is no exact sound in the whole Roland Cloud collection, together with the Korg Legacy Triton. Rol. SRX Keyboards module has some similar sounds but they are definitively not the same (and don't sit that well in the mix as the original one). Looks like sub-optimal sampling standards at the time EMU worked on their sounds is perfect for productions where 'less' sound is always better to have than full sound that takes a lot of freq spectrum.

I have tried many Roland strings for the productions that I work on from time to time, and while they sound nice alone they are almost useless during the mix. One has to strip their frequencies down in order to make space for the vocal and other mid-range instruments. At the end you get the sound that is quite far from the original and kinda lose perspective whether is it good or not. I suppose Cheiron guys had the same problems and after they found sounds that work they used them on majority of songs. It is quite a painstaking process to find sounds that actually work in the mix. No wonder all successful producers had their own signature sound. You try to avoid going thru this procedure too often.

Snipes3000

I missed out on these messages of Rod and Cout till today. First of all, thanks for sharing the valuable video of working with the difficult to control Emulator X. Secondly, I concur with cout's method of obtaining the stringwheel through his method. At the same time, the sound can be recreated with a Matrix12 or something similar, considering that emu took it from that vco synth. Finally, the Emulator X has a unique filter built in which is something to be aware of. See for example the Dead Ringer filter type inside.

Snipes3000

Dagge I forgot to respond. I think you make a good point by saying that one should find a few particular sounds and deal with them. The roland romplers plugins sound very outdated and recorded yeah. Hopefully you are aware of Zenology of roland as well. I think cheiron did a lot of eq'ing/filtering on the sounds to prevent the mix from drowning and also to take away that classical sound from for example strings by high cutting them. I like to scroll presets with a high cut filter or a band pass at times.

Dagge

Re. 'StringWheel' sound I think it's the ChifferPad' sound located on the Vintage Synth Pro Emulator X module. Setting lo-pass filter and cutting mids a bit to lose harshness and that's it.