• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

"All About That Bass" streaming royalties

Started by georg_e, September 24, 2015, 07:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnaround

Call me a broken record but I say:

There is enough money in the system. Why do the labels/record companies not split their share more fairly? Where goes all the money from the subscriptions?

And I liked it..

melodicmoonlight

Rebecca

So, was the $5.6k just from Pandora? How does Pandora makes its money? advertising? do people pay?
If people aren't paying for the subscription, then I can understand that the songwriter can't be paid much.

He needs to say how much he received from actual purchases on Apple itunes. I bet it's a lot more than $5.6k.

georg_e

Quote from: Rebecca on September 25, 2015, 01:13:04 PM
So, was the $5.6k just from Pandora? How does Pandora makes its money? advertising? do people pay?
If people aren't paying for the subscription, then I can understand that the songwriter can't be paid much.

He needs to say how much he received from actual purchases on Apple itunes. I bet it's a lot more than $5.6k.
I think he's really focusing on the streaming aspect  Rebecca, (more than iTunes) since as we know from our friend Bob Lefsetz, streaming is the way things are heading as the main way people will buy music and be the chief revenue stream for songwriters :-)

As to what you mentioned about Pandora, advertising, paying vs free, I haven't got a clue, lol.

Rebecca

oh I see. Yes, if the only income for songwriters is from streaming, then it's not enough. I suppose streaming is in it's early stages as most people expect to stream for free. Maybe in the future when we're all forced to pay a subscription, then it might change and songwriters will be paid more for it.

I don't really believe people will completely stop buying songs on itunes, especially when a song is only $1 or $2. People will buy less and less of entire albums, but that's because albums have too many filler tracks.

I thought also that songwriters are paid for a song by a record company/artist? for a new songwriter it might not be much, but for the successful ones, I'm sure it's heaps.

j.fco.morales

Streaming makes money for the company, not for the songwriters.

Is a really good business, actually.
I don't like streaming services at all so I don't use them, but I understand it and I prefer to think that's good for the world to have an album database available for everyone instead of royalties.

volkanyurdabak

Streaming is the best way of listening to music for 2010s. For 2000s, it was iPods, for 1990s it was discmans and for 1980s it was Walkmans. The money from streaming will increase significantly, because there is a three-digit-YoY-growth right now. As a result, of course, the royalties will get better.

Feelgoodlies

B Steady

Quote from: volkanyurdabak on September 27, 2015, 10:33:50 AM
Streaming is the best way of listening to music for 2010s. For 2000s, it was iPods, for 1990s it was discmans and for 1980s it was Walkmans.

what kind of device is a "streaming"? just asking since you were comparing it to iPods, disc- and walkmans ...
Vila i frid Dag

georg_e

Quote from: B Steady on September 28, 2015, 09:12:39 PM
what kind of device is a "streaming"? just asking since you were comparing it to iPods, disc- and walkmans ...
Very good question, B Steady.   A "streaming" is a very complicated machine,  still in the developmental stage,
and here in this video you can see one of the inventors explaining how it works.  Incredibly, scientists predict that one day in the future, you will be able to fit one of these machines into your pocket and "stream" the entire history of recorded music!

http://youtu.be/ybNG-ADpNd0

B Steady

Quote from: georg_e on September 29, 2015, 12:10:35 AM
  Very good question, B Steady.   A "streaming" is a very complicated machine,  still in the developmental stage,
and here in this video you can see one of the inventors explaining how it works.  Incredibly, scientists predict that one day in the future, you will be able to fit one of these machines into your pocket and "stream" the entire history of recorded music!

http://youtu.be/ybNG-ADpNd0

hahaha very good!
Vila i frid Dag