• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Lady Gaga on producers (Luke, Martin)

Started by gm33, February 19, 2011, 11:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gm33

Saw this today:
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/02/lady_gaga_star_producers_are_t.html
Lady Gaga: Star Producers Are 'the Most Dangerous Thing That Has Happened to This Business'

She goes on to say that "producers are getting in their [the artists] way"

My personal take on this (and I apologize if I offend any vocal artists here), is the singer for a song should just be like any other instrument. The focus should be on the composer of the song. It's THEIR music, not the artist's music. I'd wish they would mention the composers name on the radio!

I mean, in the classical world, the composer of a piece is what's important. It's ALWAYS named. Sure you can have the best performers like itzhak perlman perform your work, but it's still about the music. No one ever says itzhak perlman is performing the the 9th symphony. No. It's Itzhak Perlman is the featured artist for Beethoven's 9th symphony performance.  So why don't we have "and that was Britney Spears performing Max Martin's Baby One More time"

So all of that said, I'm sick of people saying "wow, that artist has 'sold out' they don't write any of their own music." THAT DOESN'T MATTER!

Yes, there are artists I like to listen to (just like I like Itzhak Perlman's violin playing). But fact of the matter is, I pick my music based on the composer/producer. I like Max Martin, Diane Warren. Dr. Luke, RedOne, etc. etc., the same way I like Mozart, Vivaldi, Bach.  I mean if Britney started doing hard core rap, I probably wouldn't like it. That proves it's about the music, not the artist.

She also says that producers are influencing the musical style when it should be the artists. WRONG. Think about the late 1600s. Corelli and Vivaldi really dictated baroque music. It wasn't the soloists or orchestras. Yes, as an artist you can perform your own style and rendition of a composer's work, I do not disagree with that. But it's not your music (unless of course you write, your own music).

Second of all, isn't Gaga a hypocrite? Without RedOne she probably wouldn't have been as famous.

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"I was writing with Max Martin and Johan Shellback who are two of my absolute songwriting heroes, they are just absolute melodic geniuses." - Taylor Alison Swift,  August 2012

Raul_esp

I agree with you ,the producers are the most important in the music , they make the music , without music the artists wouldn't exist , and normally in Pop the artists are vocalist and they dont have hability to make good songs , I'm more fan of the composers and producers because they make the music!
And Gaga is a Hypocrite , without RedOne she wouldnt have had sucesss, They must to thanks all her success to the sound of RedOne.

georg_e

Quote from: Raul_esp on February 20, 2011, 12:20:47 AM
I agree with you ,the producers are the most important in the music , they makes the music , without music the artists wouldn't exist , and normally in Pop the artists are vocalist and they dont have hability to make good songs , I'm more fan of the composers and producers because they make the music!
And Gaga is a Hypocrite , without RedOne she wouldnt have had sucesss, They must to thanks all her success to the sound of RedOne.
Totally agree :-)    I don't understand this attitude at all.....to me it's egotistical thinking by the artists, when it's obvious that the BEST songs are by particular producers/songwriters...like Max/Luke with Kelly Clarkson.   iF the artists could make songs as good as that, then I'd say, great --let THEM do it!   Whatever/whoever makes the best SONGS, go with them, right?  But it seems like the artists can't leave their ego out of it..... (I do agree with them CO-WRITING, though, that's cool).

My own theory on how this craziness got started is this........ before the Beatles, almost NO pop artists (except a few: Chuck Berry, BeachBoys (Brian Wilson), etc) wrote their own songs.  The Beatles were a one-in-a-million case of artists/singers who were ALSO first- rate, amazing songwriters. I mean, they could have   JUST been songwriters, and never sang a note, and they still would've been good, and successful as SONGWRITERS.  BUt singers/bands saw them and said 'Hey, if THEY can do that, so can we".  Trouble is....very, very few can :D

Izalightblue

It's always about the songwriters, even when you don't know that.

JackSnr

Aside from the fact that I wish Lady Gaga would get off her rediculously high horse, I ABSOLUTELY HATE it when artists talk about writing their own songs and their credibilty. Pop music is great today beacuse of these increadibly talented producers. Having someone else write/produce your songs doesn't detract from your credibiliity, it just means you have great songs to sing.

One thing I admire greatly about Britney Spears is that there's no bull about her 'credibiliity'. She just lets the people who are best at what they do, do what they do. As a resulty, she got songs that havelived on for a decade and have secured her a place as the artist of the centuary. And it's not as if Lady Gaga has produced any of her own songs. In fact, her songs aren't even that good. Certainly not for someone who claims to be the future of pop music.

Rebecca

Unbelievable, she's a complete hypocrite. Most of her success is due to Redone. I'm so over Lady Gaga, she is so boring now.

*Sabine*

Agree with you Reb, not only she's a complete hypocrite but if she does other songs without Redone (like the Born this way shit), she can say Bye Bye to her career!

NIKLAS"NiCkY"

I don´t like Lady Gaga at all... it´s crazy of course it´s about the producers and songwriters , that it why i buy cds because the book where u can read who wrote and produce the song....Lady Gaga is boring me
If you can dream it, you can be it.

Matteo87

Quote from: Raul_esp on February 20, 2011, 12:20:47 AM
I agree with you ,the producers are the most important in the music , they make the music , without music the artists wouldn't exist , and normally in Pop the artists are vocalist and they dont have hability to make good songs , I'm more fan of the composers and producers because they make the music!

I totally agree.

Gaga whithout RedOne's sound is nothing.
"I didn't even know what a producer did, I spent two years day and night in that studio trying to learn what the hell was going on." - Max Martin