• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

The new music business model: Social Media

Started by j.fco.morales, July 23, 2014, 07:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j.fco.morales

Guys, I read this article about Shawn Mendes, a teenage boy from Canada that got a record deal because he started doing covers on Vine.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6165603/shawn-mendes-vine-magazine-story

Just like Taylor Swift wrote some time ago about the new music business model and social media, this young man is the representation of that: you get record deals because you're popular and not because of talent, like it was back in the day.

What do you guys think about this?
I think is an amazing topic.

Rebecca

I think it is a great idea, it's easier for the record company as the singer already has a following. I suppose it's a similar thing with the Idol and The Voice etc, singers already have fans before they release an album.

Linda

j.fco.morales

Quote from: Rebecca on July 24, 2014, 01:24:48 PM
I think it is a great idea, it's easier for the record company as the singer already has a following. I suppose it's a similar thing with the Idol and The Voice etc, singers already have fans before they release an album.

Absolutely: the thing is to create a fanbase to make the project profitable.
If you already have a fanbase, half of the work is done.

In the business matters, is makes total sense. In a artistic sense, not that much.