• Welcome to Cheiron Songwriters and Max Martin fan-forum and music discussion board www.swedishsongs.de - All about Swedish songwriters and music.

News:

Welcome to the Cheiron Songwriters Forums |
powered by www.maxmartinfansite.com

Here is the place to talk about all the members and friends of the legendary Cheiron Studios: Max Martin, Denniz PoP,  Rami Yacoub, Jörgen Elofsson, Andreas Carlsson, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Kristian Lundin, Herbie Crichlow, Alexandra Talomaa, Alexander Kronlund, John Amatiello, Jake Schulze and all the new and old songs by the Cheiron crew and friends (Dr Luke, Shellback, Savan Kotecha...) and (your) great pop music in general.

Main Menu

Mini Interview with Max in Rolling Stone

Started by georg_e, May 31, 2010, 08:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

georg_e

Hey, there's this great special Rolling Stone issue out called "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time", and they gave Max his own little "sidebar" interview which I copied below.  I think "Since U Been Gone"  is the only Max song on the list, no Britney songs at all, which I totally disagree with -- "Baby One More Time" shoulda been on there --  but hey, it's a good interview with him anyway ;-)

What makes a great song?

"A great song has that 'What the fuck?' factor -- when you put it on you react to it. A great song grabs your attention right away."

Which of your songs come closest to that ideal?

'Since U Been Gone' for me has that. The marriage of that song and where Kelly Clarkson was at the time with American Idol really surprised people. That made her real. Also, not alot of things out there sounded like that at the time. The song came out in a world that was really rap oriented, alot of rythmic stuff, not alot of pop. Sometimes you need a bit of luck to be unusual.

When could you tell that the song was special?

"The demo was just me and Luke singing, but when Kelly started to sing, she killed it. When we listened back she had taken the song to a totally different world, so I really loved it.  But that still didn't mean it was gonna work. I don't ever know if it's a hit or not. 'I Kissed A Girl' was another total surprise. We wrote it with Kary Perry and she wasn't even really signed, at a  time when everybody said you needed a TV platform to have a hit. Then she became an overnight star all around the world.

How has technology changed your relationship between songwriting and producing?

"I'm an old school writer --I start very simple, usually with the melody only. I'm a Dictaphone kind of guy. But I don't believe in right or wrong ways to do it. I love the way technology has developed into kids making crazy beats. It's so cheap to get a real studio onto a laptop, and not to have to rent a studio for two grand a day, so I do write to beats as well. I used to be more conservative, but I don't care anymore. Now I use all the tools I can".

Izalightblue

Rebecca

Thanks George, that's fantastic.

Is this from a current issue? I must buy it!

georg_e

Quote from: Rebecca on June 01, 2010, 12:07:07 PM
Thanks George, that's fantastic.

Is this from a current issue? I must buy it!

Glad you liked!  Yes, it's a current issue -- it's an updated version of a "500 Greatest Songs" issue they did in 2004. It really is great --no advertising in it, each song has has it's own little article with interesting stuff, and then they have these little 'sidebar' interviews with certain artists, songwriters, etc, like the one with Max  (Kelly Clarkson has one, too). Also alot of cool photos, like of the original records, etc. I ran across the issue by accident in my pharmacy ;-)

Rebecca

great, thanks George, I'll look out for it

Raul_esp

great!! since u been gone is a amazing song , baby one more time should be there !! it's the best pop song ever!

Izalightblue

Quote from: Raul_esp on June 02, 2010, 07:24:02 PM
great!! since u been gone is a amazing song , baby one more time should be there !! it's the best pop song ever!

BOMT definitely is the best pop song ever, I think the same, why is not there?

Feelgoodlies

Great one!

He wasn't conservative, all of Cheiron copied and pasted alot of their beats!

georg_e

Quote from: Izalightblue on June 02, 2010, 07:51:03 PM
Quote from: Raul_esp on June 02, 2010, 07:24:02 PM

BOMT definitely is the best pop song ever, I think the same, why is not there?
I think that alot of rock journalists (since "Rolling Stone" has that background) are afraid to list a Britney song, even if in their hearts they know it's great!!  They feel safe including "Since U bEEN GoNe" cuz it's more "indie/edgy" etc. (Although it IS  a great song!!) 

Izalightblue

Yeah, I have to agree with you there, George!!

Rebecca

so true, most critics are music snobs, way too afraid to list a Britney song, it's quite sad really. Occasionally some will say they like I'm A Slave 4 U because it's by The Neptunes or maybe they'll say the like the Lily Allen version of Womanizer or whatever.

Although in 2000, Rolling Stone did put BSB's I Want It That Way in their Top 10 Greatest Pop Songs of all time and Baby One More Time at no.25, Nync's Bye Bye Bye at 55 but of course that was when BSB etc were huge. http://www.rockonthenet.com/archive/2000/rsmtv100.htm

Izalightblue

Yeah, Rebecca, I remember that, good times!! ;)